gearing and tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

gearing and tires

It seems I can run my CJ7 with 31 inch tires and not change from stock gearing and 33 inch tires would call for a little gear change. Wonder what would happen with 32 inch tires and stock gears. What I'm trying to say is something like, is there much difference between 32 and 33 inch tires considering gears...Oh and, would a one inch body lift clear the 32s?

Thanks and Happy New Year all ya'll.

JP
'94 YJ and '85 CJ7 with stuff done to it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 10:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: gearing and tires

Joe,
I am going to assume you are talking about your 85 CJ...if its for your YJ then one of the other guys will have to give you an answer..

First, you need to see what diff ratio you have. My 84 had stock 3.31 and when I whent to 32's I was hurting in 1st gear....driveable...but hurting. If you have 3.73 then you will be in better shape. 32's will clear as long as you don't want to do any serious off roading. Other factors include what wheel your using. If they are not stock wheels, then the offset on them may push you out of the wheel well, causing more rubbing.
You'r now stuck in that gray zone that we have all been in...decisions...decisons...and $$$$

First, decide on how you want to drive the jeep..off road?.. then save some bucks and go with 33's, 3" spring lift, and 4.10 gears....4.10's will work with 32 to 33's just fine and you still have decent engine RPM on the fwy in overdrive (I'm assuming that you have the T5 tranny).

If you'r mostly street driving it then go with 32's and either the 1" body lift or maybe 1.5" shackel lift....(yes, I know...I'm permoting a body or shackel lift...forgive me)...unless you have the bucks...then do a real lift...putting in new springs is easier than doing a body lift.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks so much. You have helped a lot. I am talking about my CJ7. Like a lot of us, I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this but still a way that I won't have to sell my soul to pay for it. Thanks again.

JP
'94 YJ and '85 CJ7 with stuff done to it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 11:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's another option for you. If you can live with your stock gearing on the road, a TeraLow 4:1 t-case conversion may be the best
option. That's what I did, and I'm pretty happy with the results, so far I have been able to do anything and go anywhere I want
(except for the time I ended up on my spare tire trying to go up an 8 ft. wall, hmm.) That is, if your gearing is not 2.73 or 3.07.
Also, the t-case rebuild is easier to do yourself than new diff gears.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 10:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

There is a pretty good Gear ratio / Tire size calc. table at http://www.4lo.com/geartable.html It should give you a good idea as to what gear/tire combo's will work together.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>1999 Dakota 4x4</font color=purple>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode