Drilling Brake Drums for Drainage? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
I Do This For The Glory

Drilling Brake Drums for Drainage?

I have heard of people drilling their rear brake drums to let the water and mud out while wheeling.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Apparently the holes are drilled in the side of the drum at an angle, and near the bottom, this allows the brakes to squeeze the water out when driving forward. I am a little hesitant to do this because I don't know the effect on the braking system and components. I know it would also let water and mud in, but what other side effects would there be? Some people in my area have already done this and are encouraging others to follow.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Any discussions my fellow jeepers?

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 03:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Drilling Brake Drums for Drainage?

Well...lets see....if there is a hole for it to drain out...then that means you have a hole for it to get in. If you look at the design, the way the drum mates with the back plate, there is very little room for dirt and water to get in...it will get in, but then, it will also go out the same way it came in. I see no reason to drill additional holes in the drum. To me it sounds like another one of those half baked backyard ideas.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 04:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have never heard of anyone doing this, but it doesn't seem logical to me. Like DDawg says if water gets in, then there is a way for it to get out. Basically I think that if you drill holes in the drums you aren't gaining anything, u might even be losing because more mud can get it than a sealed drum. If this was a good idea I would think that drums would come with vent holes in them from the factory, or some company would sell vented drums for off-road but I don't see either....just my opinion

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>Any other ideas to avoid brake fade?

Discs on the back... or larger drums... or a brake booster? These are all 500+ upgrades... cheaper ideas anyone?

<font color=blue>Jon-YJ94
<font color=red>a work in progress
[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 06:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've seen it done but it was for performace, to avoid brake fade and aid drum cooling don't know if it would help get mud out, anything to ease mud removal would be wonderful
-Marky

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is a guy with a Cherokee that has done this on the XJ Forum. I personally wouldn't do it, but he does give details of how he did it on his site.

Here is the link
http://hometown.aol.com/xjguy/auto5/index.htm

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 01:10 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I think it is a bad idea. Big rigs often have open drums, but that is for cooling and they rarely get buried in mud and rock. With a backing plate, there is a LIMIT to how large the particle size can be which can enter, and it therefore protects the brake drum somewhat from larger, possible sharp, stones and debris. You can limit the water entry slightly by holding pressure so the shoes are against the drum.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]The EARLY Fords had "bogie" drums with just spokes in the middle, no solid wall, and to this very day when I think early model Fords(and I'm talking pre-war here folks)the first thing that pops into my mind is:"No Brakes!" They were absolutely useless, and with mud it was worse than useless.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I learned to drive in our hot '35 Ford pickup, and it was always a matter of allowing plenty of stopping room. I still have that habit today....my brakes always go 125-150K before relining.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode