Which winch mount - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 01:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Which winch mount

I'm looking for a winch mounting plate for my YJ. It's a toss up between the Warn and the Tomken. Is there anything to the Tomken other than the little brush guard to warrant the extra cost?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 01:53 PM

Re: Which winch mount

Not sure about the Tomken, but I went with the Warn mount for the front of my CJ
mostly because it was readily available locally.
It is basically two brackets that bolt to the sides of your frame and a plate that bolts to the brackets across the front (for the CJ, but I'll bet the YJ mount is pretty close to the same). The only slight complaint I had was that the kit came with grade 5 hardware. A trip to the hardware store and $10 fixed that.
In addition, there are two 1/4" spacers between the brackets and the plate. I'm thinking that I could use some angle and sandwich it between the plate and brackets instead of the spacers to make tow hook mounts ...actually I think I saw this on a web site somewhere.

'79 CJ-7
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 02:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought the Warn kit and the holes didn't line up with those on my frame. Anyway, the price was not appropriate for two brackets, a plate, and some grade 5 bolts. Why spend $85 and then another $10 or $15 to replace the hardware? I spent $20 for some angle iron, bolts and a plate and drilled the holes in the right place. I also drilled holes for tow hooks and integrated the mount with a new front bumper.

joe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is a present my wife is going to be buying for me. She asked which one I want. I'm kinda lame right now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img](torn muscle in shoulder), so I can't even finish my rear bumper- let alone take on another (easy) fab job.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 02:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

They use grade 5 for a reason, it is not so brittle and less apt to snap under a sudden shock load. Grade 8 is HARDER, but not
as good where shock loading is an issue.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 03:43 PM

You know...I made this comment on another list about a year ago. A bunch of engineer types got on my case. After a lot of discussion it was agreed upon that grade 8 was still better than grade 5 for this application. If I can find that thread I will post it and you guys can rip it apart. I'll have to go back to my old e-mail program and see if I still have it.

'79 CJ-7
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The reason I say that is that years ago when I got my winch mount I called Warn and asked them why grade 5, not 8. That is what
they told me, not being an engineer or even anything close, I jsut trusted a big outfit like Warn. Maybe they were wrong?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 04:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So Brad, you're saying to get the Tomken?
(trying to redirect [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 04:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think that Warn would put Grade 5 in the kit for a reason.....Grade 8 bolts are stronger but they are also more brittle. I would stick with the Grade 5 bolts, anything happens to them Warn is liable....as for the original question which winch plate is better I have no idea haven't used either, sorry.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 04:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Gosh FNG, I'm not sure anymore, I'm so confused! Personally, I have a Warn channel mount, never had any problems, fit right,
seems ok to me.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode