having engine remanufactured - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

having engine remanufactured

Hi all.
258 I-6
going through my manual in preperation for the event,I read where a special tool is required to install the timing chain cover/seal.can it be done without this tool ?
This will be the first time I take out / install an engine ,in a car(jeep) any advice or tricks would be appreciated .TIA

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 09:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: having engine remanufactured

The best advice I can give, having done a few motors over the years, both motorcycle and auto is to LABEL everything, including hoses and wires with masking tape. No matter how well you think you can remember, a week later that memory is usually fuzzy. The only time you don't have to label is when you've done a zillion of the same one. Also have a GOOD shop manual. Over the years I've usually gotten away without special tools, but they sure do help if you have them available. Also, when you go to have your machine work done, ask around, you can get some pretty crummy work done by people that appear to know what they are doing but don't. One other thing, don't skimp on parts, with engine parts you generally get what you pay for, that includes gaskets and seals.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 10:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

That is very good advice Brad. About the only other thing I can add is something that my first grade teacher used to say constantly: "Cleanliness is next to Godliness!" She didn't rebuild engines I'm sure but the application here cannot be overemphasized. If you feel you cannot lick (with your tongue) every part that is going back into your motor without getting something on your tongue then it is not clean enough. Use parts solvent to clean everything. Don't use gasoline or diesel. Get your parts solvent from one of the local suppliers to the drycleaning industry. Cost you about $2.00/gallon and is worth much more.
Good luck and don't forget where you can go to get more advice and questions answered fast.
sln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 07:34 AM
Addict

I didn't use any special tool to put te seal in my timing chain cover. Just coated the outside with permatex and tapped it in with a hammer. Had to chase it around the circle a little bit as with all seals, but just go easy and don't bend it.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 08:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Generally for seal installation a socket of the appropriate size does the trick.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad, Stephen, and Dick are all very correct....having done 2 258's this past year I can only add the following...

1. Make sure you use a machinest that knows what he is doing...i.e., he measures before bores...and if he says "thats looks close enough'...don't use him. In my case, I took the pistons to him and he bored each cyl to match the respective piston.
2. Spend the bucks to have it balanced. When doing the flywheel, have the clutch done with it. Trust me, you will be glad later.
3. Plasti gauge the rods and mains. If they are close to the limit...around .0035 I believe, have the crank turned. Otherwise, you will start having low oil pressure problems sooner than you want.
4. If you want to rock crawl then don't go with a radical cam...you will never be able to get a decent idle.
5. As stated above, CLEANLINESS. Any dirt left in the engine ends up on the rods and mains.
6. Take your time....unless you like doing it twice.
7. DO NOT let them knurl the valve guides....it will only last about 10K miles..if they are out of spec, then spend the bucks for new valve guids...and valves if they too are out...otherwise, we will start getting questions from you as to why you are getting oil in your air cleaner.
8. Prime the oil system prior to startup.
9. Make sure you double check all torques.

And most important...have a last look over before you start it....don't be in a rush to crank it up.

John......southern CA
84CJ7, 3"lift, 32"BFG, 4.10's, ARB Locker, Solid Axle's, Durabak
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's so true, don't be in a hurry to crank it over. But, I've never had that problem. After spending all that time and money I've
always been afraid to crank it over, usually delays the start quite a while! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice.
It is just the manual that says to use this tool to center the timing case cover when bolting it back on the block ,then use another attachment to push the seal in,I must be getting old ,or reading the manual too close,cause I never worried about this stuff when doing Harleys many moons ago(before the Yuppie takeover)
Sometimes special tools just make things go so much smoother they are worth the expence.and I hate having to stop working on something to go looking for a tool.I would rather be prepared in advance.
Couldn't I just put the seal in the case ,put the case on the shaft ,It should self center itself ? then bolt it down to the block ??

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode