Hey JEEPN, Read This! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Hey JEEPN, Read This!

Can you post a pick of your Hi-Lift mount or describe it in a little more detail. I am interested in making one for my CJ.

Thanks,

P.S. What is stop sign channel?

TJ: Hi-lift mount made form stopsign channel. Believe it or not, it's a perfect fit. The groves in the channel exactly fit the grove in the high lift. I put some bolts through with locknuts, welded some nuts to T-handles made from pipe, and voila, instant rack, and lockable too. We have it mounted to the front of the TJ.

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5" lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI?</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 09:47 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: Hey JEEPN, Read This!

I don't if the pic turned out, if not, let me know. Stopsign channel is the post a stopsign is mounted to at the end of a road. If you look at it, it has holes through it and is shaped kinda like a "U". I'm not advoacting cutting down stopsigns, I got mine from a local public works department. They are always replacing the channel from prople running them over. I used a section about 2.5' in length and drilled some holes in the side to mount to the bumper of the TJ. I used two bolts for mounting the hi-lift, but I put the bolts through the channel from the backside, then put some thin nuts on the front side to hold the bolt in place while the hi-lift wasn't on the jeep. Move the hi-lift back and forth a little until the holes in the jack line up with the bolts, then slide it on. You could use wing-nuts to hold the jack in place, but I welded some nuts to the inside of some pipe, then welded a "T" handle to the pipe. In essence I made a larger wing-nut with a hole in the middle, so it's easier to remove and crank down tighter. An added benefit, which we didn't realize until it was finished, was the tubing for the T-handles, when lined up, will allow a rod to pass through both at the same time. Put some holes in the end of the rod and throw a lock in the holes, instant locked hi-lift rack! I can draw up some plans, it'll take me a little time, but if anyone needs a more detailed description, E-mail me directly. I hope this helps and is easy to understand. I plan on putting this on the Scrambler as well, for now it's just on the TJ, the Scrambler is getting currently it's annual upgrade and maintenance.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-13357-Kimball'sMountain.jpg (45.2 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-1999, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Hey JEEPN, Read This!

Thanks for the detail. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks Again,

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5" lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI?</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode