Do I really need a Weber? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Do I really need a Weber?

I am making a serious effort to get my Carter BBD and all the other emissions crap working. So far I have all the vacuum hoses replaced and I am in the process of testing all of the sensors that report back to the computer. Since I have fixed the hoses I have had to make several adjustments to the mixture on my Carter. Each time I think I have it right, it runs like crap the next time I start it up. It is like every time I get the mixture just right the computer trys to change it. Am I going to be fighting this forever or do I just need to finish testing all the sensors and then everything will work great? I don't know how effective this system was in original factory condition, but I have a newly rebuilt Carter and don't want to shell out for a Weber right now. I am hoping that once I have everything working and install my GM HEI I will have a powerful and fuel efficient engine, Can I really expect this much?

Thanks,

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5" lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI?</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 09:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Do I really need a Weber?

I have heard of some guys who got the Carter/HEI combo to run very well. If you have bad sensors, a faulty computer, or dirty wiring, it will not run right regardless of what you do. Your problem could be a simple as a bad sensor or a dirty wire. The Carter is a very complicated system, and one faulty part can really make the thing run poorly. If you have already invested in a new Carter, complete the troubleshooting process before you give up. I have seen Carter equipted Jeeps run pretty well after an HEI conversion, even if there were some problems in the fuel system. Another option is to disconnect the Carter from the stepper motor plug and tune it like a normal carb. I did this to mine to get a few more months out of it before I installed my Weber. I personally got tired of chasing a Carter related problem every two months, so I installed a Weber and drove merrily down the trail without looking back.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tom, I don't know if you have to pass a tailpipe & underhood emmissions test where you live. If you don't there is a way to bypass the computer & tune your carb. I remember seeing it posted here on the old forum sometime ago.I might be wrong but I thought it was by CJDave. Give your post a little time & I'm sure one of the other guys will remember for sure who had it. Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The carb bypass is called the Nutter Bypass. But before you try that do the HEI mod first. I am one of those with the Carter BBD and HEI. Before I put in the HEI, mine ran farily well...but like you, I was constantly haveing to dick with it. I put in the HEI and it was like the Carter BBD woke up. BIG difference. Now the only problem I have is gas mileage...but I think it has more to do with the lower gears and my lead foot...now that I have power to have fun with.

A couple of notes on the Carter...
1. Make sure the throttle shaft is not worn out. Any carb will suffer from this. It can be a major source for a vacuum leak and idle problems. If it is, take the base off and any carb shop can drill it out and install new bushings.
2. Make sure the float level is correct. If the floats are going bad then it will start to run way too rich.

Good Luck

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

The Carter I have is a rebuilt Holley that is less than 6 months old. I worked on it some more today and it runs pretty well when the engine is warm but doesn't idle worth a crap. I still have several sensors to check and I need to replace one of the vacuum motors in the air cleaner snorkel. Does anyone know if you can get those motors at a local parts store, or do I have to try the dealer/junkyard?

Thanks,

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5" lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI?</font color=green>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode