se or sport tj??(long) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

se or sport tj??(long)

im goin to be in the market for a new vehicle this spring and probably goin to get a jeep tj. the only question is which model. I have between the sport and se, the sahara is out of the question. the se is goin to be around 3k less, so i will be able to pay it off quicker. i don't plan to offroad that mush until i have it payed off, probably just on the weekends. i'd like the power and d44 that the sport offers, but i don't drive fast, and i don't plan on doing to much off roading. My thought was to get the se, and save the 3k for mods. If i was goin to have to get gears and lockers put into the sport, it would be cheaper to buy the se and get a custom disc-braked 9inch already set up. and when the i4 dies replaces with a fuel injected v8. i dunno, i just want to have a nice vehicle and be able to off-road, and when it gets older i can use it as more of a hard-core off road vehicle. in short my question is, should i buy te se and save the 3k for mods down the road, or buy the sport and not worrow about axle strength and power? let me know what you think
~mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 11:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: se or sport tj??(long)

I have driven both the 4 and 6 banger. An auto six, manual 4, and my manual six. The four can not even compare to the low torque of the six, but that is not to say the four is a bad engine. Probably sufficient for any four-by needs you might have. I would suggest getting a manual six-cylinder, if it were up to me. I don't hardcore off-road, but do get out every once and a while. The six with the 3.73 gear ratio is great. Tons of pick-up, great on the highway, and climbs over most anything, within respect. Don't worry about the D35. Strong enough for mild needs with mild tires and a mild foot. My TJ is pretty much bare bones, accept for the six. I have the 3.55 gears and it does great on and off the street. I think you would be really happy with a combo like that. That motor is sufficient for hardcore off-roading. Plenty of guys wheel with 35" tires and the six-cylinder. It is powerful, reliable, and durable for most any trail needs. If you can swing it, I would suggest a sport, and if you have to, hold off on a few options like allows, hardtop, and air-conditioning. Just my opinion. Hope this helps.
Russ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 01:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had a 4 cylinder YJ and traded it for a 6 cylinder TJ. The ultimate reason was that the YJ was vastly underpowered for highways and hills. It is great off road, but I added 30" tires and that really sucked the power. If you are doing alot of highway driving I wouldn't even consider the 4cyl. Actually if you can afford the 3k for the 6 I would say get it. You will never think "gee, I wish I had a 4cyl!!" The gas mileage isn't much less with a 6cyl either. If you do plan on doing alot of offroading and know you will get bigger tires then get the Dana 44. If you plan on staying with 33's or smaller you should be fine with the Dana 35. It is easier to lift a Dana 35 since you tend to have more vibration problems with the Dana 44.

Good Luck,

Jeff N

Jeff Niwa
98 TJ Sport
3" Teraflex System
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 06:51 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Go with the 6 cyl. It's my recommendation anyway, you can always do what you like. We looked at TJ's hard before ordering ours, I'd say for about 4 months. We looked at all the options and dealerships (in the end the dealership screwed us anyway), and decided on the sport. There were a few reasons for this:

1) The 6 cyl gets 2 mpg worse mileage than the 4 cyl but has a lot more power and torque.

2) The 5 speed with the 4 cyl is the AX-5, the 6 cyl has the AX-15, a much stronger tranny. You mentioned swapping the motor later, the AX-5 isn't up to the task of the V8.

3) The Trac-Lok isn't available with the 4 cyl, and we planned to go wheeling and use it as a daily driver as well.

4) The ABS and A/C, I don't believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong), were available on the 4 cyl.

5) The 6 cyl is now available with 3.73 gears and the 35 or 44 (both with the Trac-Lok. Standard ration is 3.07. Standard ratio on the 4 cyl is 4.10, which isn't far from 3.73. Ours with 3.55's does very well, I have no complaints.

If you're going to have a payment on a vehicle, get a vehicle you don't mind having a payment on. This might sound strange, but get what you want. A $3,000 difference is only $50 over 60 months (I'm not taking interest into account, I know, but the idea is conveyed), not a huge difference. Our TJ took 4 months to get after ordering it, and cost $24,000, but we don't mind the payment becasue it's <font color=red>exactly</font color=red> what we wanted.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know money is tight, hell, it's tight for us, but we'll have this TJ for a lifetime (unless it's totalled), so it's an investment and well worth the money. I hope this helps.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 11:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have to agree with the opinions already posted. If you plan on using for a daily driver, the six is much more practical. Before I purchased my 1998 Sport, I looked at a '98 Ranger 4x4 and a Nissan (choke, gasp - hey, I was tired of dumping money into my Bronco). The 4.0/5- speed combo has tons of power and torque for the size of the Jeep, and does very well in nearly all driving conditions. I have the 3.07 gears and put 30" tires on, so it did hurt 5th gear around 50-60 mph, but not to the point of making it undrivable.

Check with local dealers and see if they have any of the '99's left. I purchased my '98 in Dec 1998, and paid $17500. This for a Sport with A/C and Trac-Lok. You may not be able to get exactly what you want, but many of the options can be added at a later date. I will be adding cruise and intermittent wipers soon (for about $400) - those are really the only things I didn't get that I wanted.

Good luck.

Dan 98 TJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 11:24 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> I have to agree with the rest here, but specifically because you hint at not being happy with the thought of a 4-cylinder long-term. If you get the 6 now, it'll cost a lot less than a V8 conversion later - which may or may not be emmissions legal anyway, depending on where you live. As mentioned above, you may be able to deal on a leftover '99, or you might consider a low-mileage '98 or '99 used one. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 11:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hhmmm, see i wanna get it paid off in less than 2 years, thats about the only reason i was considering the 4cyl. I really don't need abs or air. I have to have a '00 because i can't standing another used vehicle(fixing other peoples problems is exactly fun) and i think the solar yellow look bad @$$. Ill probably just wait a couple more months and get the sport. itll have a higher resal valaue neway, plus i never even thought of the emissions legal part of the engine swap. thanks to everybody that posted

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode