More saga of the carpats.com winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

More saga of the carpats.com winch

You may remember that I started a post that said carparts.com was a rip-off and then later wrote a
retraction when I got my winch. Well there is more.

When I opened the box, I had a hawse fairlead which I thought should have been a roller type but I
thought that maybe I was mistaken so I didn't pay much attention. When I went to fill out the warranty
card, I noticed that I had an old serial number, 247xxx, the latest serial numbers are above 383582. I
also checked the Warn page and found that an XD9000 stock # 28500, which is what I ordered came
with the roller fairlead.

I called carparts.com and asked about this. They wanted my order number so I got out the packing slip.
The packing slip calls for a part number 27550 which is the more expensive XD9000i, even though I
actually got the XD9000. They say that they will make the exchange, but is this screwed up or what?

First their website doesn't take the order properly and looses it, then UPS gets it to the wrong depot
and says they don't deliver to my location, which they do, and now this. Does everybody have these
problems or am I just holding my mouth wrong. I know I got a good price but I didn't need all this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:05 PM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: More saga of the carpats.com winch

What they are doing is taking the order, and then finding a warehouse for the parts to ship out of. My winch originated from somewhere on the other side of TN from me.

What this means is that the warehouse gets an order for a Warn XD9000 winch, and just grabs an XD9000 winch.

I was pissed that I did not get the new, big motor when I got my X8000i, but a friend that ordered the same time I did got the new big motor on his X8000i.

Oh well, the online description for the winch I got was for the old motor, so it is not like I got stiffed.

I think they shipped out a lot of winches at once(We swamped them with orders!) and that may be the reason for the mix-ups.

As for UPS - carparts.com has no control over that. If they have in their computer that UPS won't deliver to your address (most likely an error from UPS) whay should they disagree? See what I mean?

I think we all got a good deal and were way to jumpy expecting our good deal to disapear as fast as it came up... Just my thoughts[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

David
Davids 4x4 Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am very sorry to hear all of this. I had prety good luck with my order. The only problem was that they sent the wrong mounting kit. I was lucky though and a local shop exchanged it for me even up. I told them the deal I got and they had no problem with me mail ordering as I got it for less than their cost. Carparts would have exchanged it though. Like the above post, mine did not come from them. It acutally came from 4 wheel parts wholesalers. The only thing weird was that I didnt get a packing slip, although I checked with my cc company and the billing was right. I hope that everything works out for you ok and you get what you wanted. Just keep thinking of how cheap it was and maybe that will help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

No, the UPS was a UPS problem. Funny thing was that I got the tracking message on Friday that
they did not deliver to my location. I called UPS and asked what the deal was. He just read what it
said and repeated to me that they didn't deliver to my location. I asked, "When did they stop?" He
asked, "When was the last time they delivered to you?". I said, "Two days ago, and two other the
week before that." He said, "Hold on while I look into this for you." Turned out they had it at the
wrong depot, and even though they said they didn't deliver to my location, it was already loaded for
Monday delivery."

I also am not necessarily blaming carparts.com for Arrow Speed Warehouse trying to unload an old
winch on me (nice try), but I don't think I'm ready to buy anything at full price when this is the service I
get.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 09:52 PM

Taz,
I guess the moral of this story is check and double check.... Thank Goodness you are thurough.
I'm sorry to see that you're having all this trouble.
Hope when you finally get the winch you ordered; you get many trouble free years with it and all this will be nothing but an unpleasant memory.
Good Luck! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 02:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I must have missed somthing, are these winches still on sale? What did you guys pay for them?

Neversummer

86 CJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode