Weber Carb Help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Weber Carb Help

Hi all,
I need help with my Weber carb on my YJ. I can't get the choke to work. I have a 12 going to the choke module, but the damn thing will never shut off. If you pull the choke plate back and then hit the throttle, it shuts off and goes to normal idle, but as soon as you hit the gas without pulling the plate back it goes right back on and goes to high idle. This is new carb so I don't think that anything should be sticking. Is there anything else that needs to be hooked up besides the 12 ?? Do any vacum lines control the choke?

Help!
Chad B in COLD WI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 12:18 AM

Re: Weber Carb Help

You shouldn't have to hook up a new wire, just use the wire that went to the old choke on the Carter. Did you get the 32/36 or 38deg Weber?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 05:50 AM
Addict

When you say it will never shut off, do you mean the wire is hot all the time? That's not right. The wire should be hot only when the engine is running. It's switched by oil pressure.

If the power is working properly, maybe the choke is not adjusted properly. There are 3 screws around the plastic heating element. Loosen them and rotate it until the choke plate starts to open to see is it's too tight. Make note of how the marks on the rim are alligned so you can put it back where it was if you need to.

The choke plate on my brand new Weber was sticking shut. I loosend the 2 screws that hold the plate in and realligned it so it works freely.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 07:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Everything seems to operate pretty freely, but I will double check. The original wire for the choke, should only have powere when the engine it running?? I will double check that as well. When I say it won't shut off I mean, the choke plates are closed and the high idle cam is kicked on. It just stays like that. You can manually pull the butterflies back and hit the gas. Then the butterflies will stand straight up and it will go to normal idle, but as soon as you hit the gas, butterflies close and high idle again.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 08:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

When you check your 12V wire, make sure you have a full 12V, not just current. Wiring over time can get "dirty" and not provide full current at the terminal. From what you described, it sounds like you just need to adjust the choke. Mine did not come properly adjusted from the factory. You can adjust the high idle also. The adjustment screw is tough to see, but it is located behind the choke device where the 12V wire connects.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 07:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok,
These are the latest results. Tonite, (25 degree weather) the choke is open completely. No high idle. I hit the gas several times and it stays open. I hook the 12 to the choke and it closes and stays closed. I left it on there for about 20 mins and the longer I waited, the harder the choke closed. Not binding, but your could feel the pressure increasing if you tried opening the butterflies with your finger. After I took the 12 off and waited for about 20 mins, hit the gas and the choke opened up and the high idle clicked off. Seems to me it is working backwards!!! I wonder if the spring is wrapped the wrong way in the choke. Shouldn't it be closed when it is this cold out???

Help!
Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode