Transmission Help?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 08:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transmission Help?!

I need some advice. I have an '89 Wrangler. I-6, 5 speed.Stock everything, except for suspension lift and 33's. I had clutch work done (clutch, throw out bearing) a couple of weeks ago.
It was working fine 'til yesterday. My problem is a knocking, clicking sound coming from the floor- The noise comes on during 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and a little in reverse. And totally absent in 4th! It isn't losing any power either. I brought it to the mechanic just this morning and he said its the trans. Can someone else shed some light to what kind of problems I'm having before I commit to his solution. I just need somebody elses opinion. The noise is also absent during idle.

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
Happy Holidays
Jim

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 10:35 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Transmission Help?!

If they tell you it's rebuild time, don't make the mistake I made. I had a SR-4 tranny rebuilt. The tranny you have isn't much better. Upgrade if you can. Wish I had. It would only have been a few more bucks for a much sturdier transmission.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 11:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I am no transmission mechanic, but I had a similar problem on a BMW I once owned. It made the same noises you hear, the problem turned out to be a bearing in the transmission. I don't know which one, but the reason it doesn't appear in 4th is because 4th is a 1:1 drive, the others use gear clusters to achieve the reduction and overdrive. Incidentally, I was told by several mechanics they could not get the bearing, it didn't exist by itself, so I had to find a new transmission or gear cluster . Needless to say, the transmission for a 1978 733i BMW imported from Italy is EXTREMELY rare, so I wasn't very optomistic. I had almost given up hope when a friend suggested I let him try. $500 and 3 weeks later the car was ready. He bought the bearing from a bearing house (S&K) in Portland, Maine for $7.50, the rest was labor for putting the tranny together (he received the tranny in 2 boxes in the trunk). It was perfect.

Raduckal is right. Your tranny doesn't have a good reputation, you might look for a swap rather than rebuilding it. I also had the SR-4, (another terrible tranny) which had been rebuilt a few times. When it let go on me (more than when I bought it), I replaced it with a better transmission. I hope this helps.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:42 PM
Can't Get Enough

It sounds like the pocket bearing or the 4 gear bushing(bearing). When the tranny is in 4 th gear, one to one, it is the only time that these parts arn't turning.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode