Scout II Axles for a CJ. Whats involved? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Scout II Axles for a CJ. Whats involved?

Hey Guys,

I have an 84cj7 with stock Dana 30 and 20. I have the chance to pick up a set of 44's from a Scout ii. I would like to know what would be involved in swapping them into my Jeep. I am no machanic but have a few people who can weld and some people to help me do it.

Since they are wider would that be a problem? Would there be any modications to the breaks? Steering? etc>

Any details about this? Thanks.

1997 TJ w/ 33's & 1984 CJ7 w/35's
http://members.aol.com/a4x4jeeper/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 09:02 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Scout II Axles for a CJ. Whats involved?

I just finished this swap on my 79 CJ7. The rear pads must be cut off and moved in to fit the CJ frame. I also rotated the axle up a little for a better driveline angle. There is a little more to it on the front. I wanted the full size axle so I had to do a few mods on the jeep. I cut off the front and rear spring hangers (after marking them on the frame) and used 1/4"x2"x3" sq tubing to weld on the outside of the frame. Then welded the hangers back on. The front "yokes" on the 44 were cut off and rotated back 6 1/2 degrees. Scout axles have 0 caster. I used the Scout and my Currie tie rods to build some custon tie rods. I kept my 30 knuckles (they bolt on to the 44) it seemed to be better for the steering and I had just rebuilt them anyway. Had to do some work on the pitman arm to make it all fit. With the new 4" lift and axles, both driveshafts had to be reworked. The jeep drives and steers great. I took some pics of the swap and will have them up soon, I will let everyone when and where. It was a lot of work but well worth it. I love the Trailmaster springs and Rancho 9000 shocks. With new gears and Detroits I'm ready to rock an roll! Good luck! E-mail me if you want to.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:21 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I also threw a set under my Scrambler. I also moved the front springs outside the frame, but my setup was a little more elaborate, I used all 1/4" plate and bolted everything to the frame. I'll have a writeup as soon as I get the pictures back.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info,

However, Forgive me for asking why everyone is moving the springs outside the frame? Would there be problems if you didnt? Why?

Pictures/write ups/ etc are wanted! lol

Thanks again!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 07:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad I saw your post. I was planning on using scout axles on my scrambler & I knew the 30 knuckles would bolt up to the 76 to 79 wagoneer & cherokee 44s and i assumed they should also work on the scout's as well but I wasn't sure until I saw your post. Thanks, Bob

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 11:17 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

The spring perches need to be moved to the outside of the frame because of the way the the Scout II axle is made. The u-bolts go over part of the casting on the pumpkin and can't be moved. My 30 knuckles were a little worn where the tie rod fit in so I reamed it out to fit the bigger stronger Scout tie rod ends. Scout and Jeep have the same taper. Snap-on has this reamer but I don't have the part #. Hope this helps.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 07:02 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I wanted to use my axles full length so I could easily get parts when I needed. By cutting the axle down, you'll narrow the track, which is fine, but if you need a new axle on that side, it means having another cut. I have 2 sets of Scout II axles as spares to rob parts from. There is a guy who used the axle full length and moved the drivers perch in 4", of course this left the axle sticking out 4" on that side, and I didn't want that, hence the spring move. I also plan to run 38" Boggers later (after the 350 swap), so the width will help.

Just out of curiosity, why swap to the D30 knuckles? What's wrong with the D44's? I know Scout's have 0 degrees of caster and 6 is preferred, but why did they have 0 to begin with, and why did my Scout drive just as good as my jeep on the road? Shouldn't it have wandered and been hard to control? What are the pros and cons of the caster difference. I swapped the axles and left the caster alone, but it's a trail rig (95%), so I haven't noticed yet.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 09:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

JEEPN,I was going to use the 30 knuckles because I thought it would be easier using the stock pitman arm & using longer tie rods. I thought the scout steering was different enough that it would make it more difficult to hook up the scout outer knuckles. I'm curious how you did it. Thanks, Bob

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 11:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone have pictures of the full length axles under a jeep? I would like to see some if you do. Thanks.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 09:51 PM
Mac

Ok here is a question...Why cant you just move the spring pearches? So then you dont have to move the Springs. I seams that moving the spring pearches would be easier then moving the springs??

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Mac [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

1975 CJ5 304 V8
JEEP, Anything else is just a car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode