Chevy 6.5L Turbo-diesel - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Chevy 6.5L Turbo-diesel

Thanks to DieselYJ I have decided to drop a Chevy 6.5L Turbo-diesel into my YJ. What vehichles had these and...is there a Supercharger available for them? Also will they will mate right up to an NV4500? Does the Atlass 3 mates directly to the NV4500 as well? How compicated is the wiring, how waterproof is the setup, and how much more bitchin' can it get!?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 05:37 PM

Re: Chevy 6.5L Turbo-diesel

If I had to make a guess as to which vehicles might have the 6.5L Chevy turbo diesel, I'd guess somewhere from the late 80's to early 90's all the way to the current year I think (referring to Chevy trucks by the way)... Of course if you have a bit richer blood, you could opt for a Hummer, they had 'em too at least for a time... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I have absolutely no clue about the other questions tho... hope that helps...

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 11:07 PM

The Chevy's and GMC's had the 6.5td from about '93 to current, before that they were using the 6.2 diesel. As to the supercharger what is the point? A turbo does the same thing with less draw on the engine, and the turbos in this application generally last longer than the supercharger. As a word of caution, we use c3500HD's with the 6.5TD at work with a fleet of 14 and we just take turns taking them to the shop. The injection pumps go out on a fairly regular basis, and they smoke like a chimney. The service manager at the dealership himself admits that this is a known problem and says we would have been better off with the 454 v-8 gas engine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 05:38 AM

As was already stated the 6.5L turbo diesels came in 1993 but from about 90-93 they sold 6.5L diesels without the turbos. As for the injection pump problems they did have them. The brought out an electronic injection pump in 1994 and like most new things there was some problems with them. In my opinion the best thing to do is if you do find a good deal on a 94-96 6.5L turbo diesel with the electronic injection pump is remove the pump and install one of the older mechanical pumps. You might have to turn the pump up to get the power but that is real easy to do. If you can, try to find an engine out of a 1996 to present military HUMVEE, they are all mechanical and are very easy to install.

YJ with a 6.5L Turbo Diesel
and A.J.'s fiberglass body
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

I *may* be in luck. I heard a local flipped his HMMV and it went to the Junkyard. I'll have to ask and see how much they want for it, laugh, cry, then break down and start saving up some $$$ (or sneak in late at night with a steak for the guard-dogs and take it piece by piece)

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 08:38 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> Ditto what the others said on availability - get one from a mid to late '90's GM & get the 5-speed with it - it's already an NV4500. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode