what's going on here? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

what\'s going on here?

I've had a strange problem over the last few nights driving. When using high beams, my headlights suddenly turn off after a few seconds! (thankfully there's a full moon!). When I go back to low beams, they come back on. I had this problem awhile back when I had some KC lights but I figured the stock alternator wasn't putting out enough juice for the extra lights. I took the KC's off for other reasons, but now this problem is occuring with the regular headlights. I have noticed the voltmeter is running a little higher than normal.

1. Is my battery dying?
2. Is my alternator dying?
3. Could this be caused by the cold (below freezing here in SC!)
4. Is it something else?

Thanks! As you can imagine, I would like to fix this problem fairly soon as running a stealthy Jeep on the highway is not my idea of fun :-)

Chuck
1995 YJ 4.0 5spd, 3" body lift, 32" Bridgestones (w/damn 3.07 gears), Durabak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: what\'s going on here?

Actually, the problem is easy to track down. Your headlights are about the only device on the jeep that uses an automatic circuit breaker (CB). If there is too much current draw, i.e., short, the CB trips and then resets....ever see a car going down the road and the headlights are flashing?...and it wasn't because of a cop up ahead?....thats the CB triping. If there is not a short, then the CB is bad. Unless you have current meter, the easiest way to fix it is to put in a new one...its only a few bucks. You will most likely find it on the fuse block.
If its not the CB then you may have a short somewhere. If its not a costant short then you will have to do the bump and shake test....which can be done during the day. Just go around each section of the wiring and bump and shake it until you see the lights go off.

Good Luck.......

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 12:46 PM
utahjeepr

Every time I've had a problem like this it has been the dimmer switch, but also check your grounds, connections, etc for signs of corrosion

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 01:32 PM

This might relate:
my toyota work truck did this, it was in the column switch( dimmer) try wigging. if not try wire direct with a DTSP switch

<font color=red> brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode