Is it safe to....??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Is it safe to....???

I was just curious if it was safe (not sure if safe is the right word to use) to have a 3in body lift, w/ an RE 4.5 inch lift, to fit 35's w/ a nice amount of play??? Or is it just overkill? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks a lot,
Peter Lombardi

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 02:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Is it safe to....???

Body lift ends up giving nightmares if you do a lot of rock crawling. Everyone that I know says that you should run no more than an inch of body lift. I have a 98 TJ with the RE 4.5 and 1 inch of body and I run 35's. I am in the rocks with it every weekend and have no problems with articulation. I live in So. Cal and run all of the local stuff.
Good luck.
Axlesupagain
98TJ 4.56 Detroits 96XJ 3.73 Lockright

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 07:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would definitely stay away from 3" of body lift....if you have a YJ and want to clear 35"s all you need is the RE kit and 1.5-2" of lift and that will clear the 35's with plent of room. My friend has the RE kit and a 1" body lift and he has room for 35's no prob....he runs 33's and wishes he had 35's!!!

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 08:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Peter,
let me know what you go with. I also have an 89 wrangler with 4" suspension, 1 more inch in front from a shackle reversal, 1" more in rear from Hypershackles. I run 33's but want 35's. So I've been wondering if I should go with a body lift and what size.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 09:44 AM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Is it safe?

That depends. For trail riding and rock crawling, setting the body up too high is dangerous. Even on the street it will handle poorly. If at all possible, stay away from body lifts over 2", if at all!
For a show vehicle, on the other hand, it would be fine, 'cause you're just wanting to look good.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

will do jun....

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 08:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

why do body lifts cause problems when rock crawling?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 08:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

It throws your balance off. Now on normal road driving, you may be able to contend with that, but on the rocks, teetering over a boulder or ambling down a cliff, that may be the difference between traction and a roll-over.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 10:50 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Is it safe to....??? What????

Not to be rude, but what are you talking about?

As for stability - any kind of lift will offer the problems you suggest.

Compare a 2" body lift to a 2" suspension lift, the SUSPENSION lift will offer worse "tippiness" than the body lift simply because with the suspension lift you have lifted more of the weight of the vehicle.

A body lift only lifts the body where the suspension lift lifts the frame & body. Common sense tells you that when you lift more weight higher up - you will get more "tippy" on the trail & road.

A body lift can allow the weight of the FRAME and ENGINE, TRANNY, T-CASE to stay closer to the ground than a suspension lift of the same height. Don't even get into ground clearance issues - that is not the arguement here.

To sum this up - if you take 2 vehicles, one with a 2" suspension lift and one with a 2" body lift - the one with the body lift has "lifted" less weight, and should (ignoring increased spring rates that usually accompany lift springs) handle BETTER on the road and trail since you have less raised "weight" shifting around.

David
Davids 4x4 Page
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 12:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

Re: Is it safe to....?

And your explaination to John (jun11) is . . . ??? Or do you think a body lift is better than a suspension lift? Not many people just do a lift and nothing else. Also consider larger tires, extended articulation, etc...
The main reason for staying away from a large body lift is: it just plain looks dumb. My 2 cents worth.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode