Mustang 5.0 Q's?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mustang 5.0 Q\'s??

I am gonna start saving up for an engine swap [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and I am really interested in the 5.0.... I saw it a mag a while back, I forget which one, sadly I lost it.... but my questions were, has anybody on the board done this, how do you like it, and how much did it end up costing... what else did u end up installing....

Thanks a lot,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 10:42 AM
MNT
Addict

Re: Mustang 5.0 Q\'s??

It was in 4wheel drive and sport utility I think. You could also try looking up www.zandm.com. They do this swap. Good luck

MNT
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-26-1999, 11:15 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Why the Ford 5.0 rather than a Chevy? The big problem with the Ford is the oil sump is on the front and
will interfere with the front axle unless you have a lot of lift. There is an oil pan and pick up tube from a
Bronco that puts the sump in the back. Forget the Ford and go with the Chevy 350 TPI, you'll get more
power and a lot easier swap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-1999, 08:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go with the 5.0. Its a lighter engine and comes with factory roller rockers. Z and M has everything you need. ck out their site.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-1999, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

go for the 5.oL. just finished welding in the mounts for my 5.0 into my 83 cj 7. bolting up a ford t-18 granny 4 to the dana 300. the 5.0 is a great motor, as is the chevy, but the ford is better on torque, lighter than the chevy, and the 5.0 will be port injected with mass air, as opposed to chevy tbi and MAP. i have had no problems with the install. it fits well and leaves plenty of room for my cooling fans. started with the whole harness and computer from an 89 mustang 5.0 HO. took out what i did not need in the harness and it should be a plug and play type conversion. stay with the 5.0, it will work fine. good luck, steve

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 06:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

what does the total cost end up being for the z and m swap? this is my dream for now, can't aford it yet, but would like to know a solid estimate, and estimates for my options if any. thanks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 08:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

You can read about this swap in October 1999 4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility Magazine.

http://www.4wdandsportutility.com

<font color=green>85 CJ7-4.2L,T-176,D300,2.5" lift,32"BFG MT,Durabak,York-Air,HEI?</font color=green>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 11:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was wondering how difficult a 5.0 swap would be into a 84 CJ7(it came from teh factory with a Iron duke 4cyl, currently it has a 4 inch lift, dana44 in rear with 3.73's in the front and back)? I have a perfectly good 88 Mustang GT donor car sitting back out in the woods (picked it up cheap wreaked). Everything is there except the 5-speed transmission (which is in my 83 GT). I have the motor, upper and lower intakes, fuel rail, computer, wire harness..etc. Would this be a difficult swap? Are motor mounts available? I was considering a 350 (but I can't really trust a chevy motor), then a 302 HO which I already have, and a 4.0/4.2 out of a newer Jeep. This jeep will mainly see nighway use and serve as a daily driver so I want to mate a 5-speed to this if possible for gas milage reasons. I don't plan to rock climb, maybe the occasional mud slinging and beach driving with 35' inch tires. The 5.0 would be the perfect engine for me if I could make everything work. I have owned several 5.0 Mustangs and usually the only thing that gives me problems on them are alternators. If anyone knows of any web sites or people who have done this swap please let me know. Thanks

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2000, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A friend of mine is doing the 5.0 swap this spring and I am helping him, I will have a complete detailed write up on my webpage after its done...but that probably wont be for a couple months.

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2000, 12:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That'll be awsome to see, what is he putting it in?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode