Tornado Under the HooD!! blah blah - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 12:01 AM
Wrangler88

Tornado Under the HooD!! blah blah

has anyone ever tried or heard of these Tornado under the hood things? its about $65 bucks and if it does what it says its wouldn't be bad but anyone ever test this gadget?
thanks!

(\/)ikey 1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 12:33 AM

Re: Tornado Under the HooD!! blah blah

uh... Is there supposed to be a link to a pic of it or something? I don't know what it is/does, but it sounds cool.. hehe [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tim
"The_Sandman_454"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] '79 Suburban 4x4 454, 6" lift, 35x12.5s & '85 GMC S15 4x4
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 12:36 AM
JMZ
Journeyman

I heard somewhere that they are a waist of money.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 12:58 AM
Wrangler88

sorry about that how could i forget the link!?! anyway its
www.tornadoair.com
see what u guys think, good stuff or junk?

(\/)ikey 1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd Manual
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 08:28 AM
cjjunkie

I just cant see were it would help,the unit is mounted above the carburetor,or throttle body as the air passes the throttle blades it would tend to straighten the airflow back out ,when building carburetors (especially 4bbls)you want to straighten the air out before the venturis to create a stable booster signal(the little thing that sticks out in the center of the carb)i would think that the tornado would do just what you do not want.
If it were me i would save your money!
just my $.02

CJJ
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 12:48 PM
Sully

I think their idea is a good one... that is to get the air and gas vapor moving in a swirl fashion as it moves into the cylinder. Corvette engine builders have taken advantage of this for years using special head and intake designs to make horsepower. Cylinder swirl, as it is called increases the volitality of the fuel air mixture and makes the most of "volumetric efficiency" during intake. However, I have heard that these particular devices are not much help because 1) where they are located (like CJJ said) and 2)they actually can slow down the air flow through the intake manifold - both seem to cancel out any advantages that they claim to make. Just my .02

Sully

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 01:06 PM
utahjeepr

Waste of money! What you would want to do is straighten the airflow in this area to maximize flow through the venturi's, not swirl it around. Combustion chamber swirling is a function of head design and would in no way be enhanced by this product. Some turbulence in the intake runners can be good in low rpm torque engines as it can help keep the fuel suspended in the air, but too much leads to puddling and inconsistent fuel delivery. This product would not provide any help in the runners either, could actually hurt air/fuel flow. Just another in a looooong list of worthless gadgets marketed to the automotive world. I almost wish I had one to run some dyno tests on several engines/intake configurations and prove this thing is junk, but that would be too darn much work for nothing.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 01:48 PM
cjjunkie

I belive that the idea is to swirl the mixture to premote the emulsification of the fuel,not to swirl it in the intake runners or combustion chamber.
only problem is that the mixture is intruduced at the booster venturi which is below the tornado where the fuel needs to smoothly flow thru the venturi area .

KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP
CJJ
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 03:01 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Ah yes, reminds me of the old plate that when under the carb with little airplane propellers in it to mix
the air and gas.

I really think that if it were that simple to get a 10% increase in gas mileage. The auto manufacturers
would have done it rather than paying the fines for not meeting the fleet mileage requirement. I remember
a line from the late '50 that went, "I have so many gas saving devices on my car that I have to stop every
two hundred miles to have my tank emptied."

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-1999, 03:15 PM

Next they will have an INFOMERCIAL look for it on late night TV. HAHA[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode