Off Roading Forums banner

My new AJ's Fiberglass Tub!! with Picture

7K views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  cjjunkie 
G
#1 ·
My new AJ\'s Fiberglass Tub!! with Picture

After research for 1 month...I looked at everyones fiberglass bodies..compared prices and narrowed it down to four wheel drive and AJ's. When looking at the two, AJ's stood out tremendousely. They elimated the sandwhich type constructruction and created the best body on the market...hands down. The stress areas are so thick and strong..you can drill and tap all the mounting holes for the windsheild, door and dash hardware...as well as the hard top locations. If you ever want to install a hardtop a four wheel drives' body...you have to cut holes in the sandwhich construction....also...four wheel drive bodies sidewalls move when you grab them and pull...while AJ's are VERY rigid. The only down side is that they are $200 more.....but you get twice as much....they are also heavier and have a better gel-coat finish. Check out the picture of mine as it rolled into my place yesterday. Two more weeks and it should be painted and durabaked...look for some more pictures soon!

~TIM~

I'm not afraid of dying...I'm scared of not living

chevy-Cj-7

Attachments

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Re: My new AJ\'s Fiberglass Tub!! with Picture

What brand bodies did you look at?
I have looked into several and am down to two.
4WDHWD and Eagle equipment.
My first glass body which I purchased in 1980 is on a 72 CJ-5 was manufactured by 4WDHWD,the quality is not quite the same for the new ones.
I would have considered an AJ's but they are still in the planning stages for a scrambler body.
I took a ride to look at Eagles bodies and was actually impressed with the CJ-7 bodies they make.they blew 4WDHWD away as far as quality was concerned.
they dont have the 8's yet but the owner and I are discussing matters now to see if things can be arranged(price&delivery?).
I would still like your thoughts on the bodies that you looked into
thanks,CJJ

CJJ

G
#3 ·

I lookeed at Malotte bodies in Florida.... Quatratec, AJ's, Four wheel drive, Shell Valley. I didn't get a chance to see an Eagle body, but I had an e mail from a friend who said they used to distribute bodies made by shell valley. In fact, many companies slap their own name on the body and it is actually made by shell valley-which I would stay away from....they try to cut every corner in the book just to make some extra cash $$$. Shell valley's bodies only weighed 215-225 pounds! That is 50 pounds lighter than anyone elses....that means less reinforcements, less glass and resin...less strength. Weight was not a real factor in my project, but I used the weights to make comparisons with companies..I would ask...what is the exact weight before crating? If it were me, I would actually inquire when AJ's would have a body out on the market. Its not like they would have to make up a totally new mold....just lengthen the cj7 one they use with a few minor adjustments. Other than that...I have no other input on the 8's. Good luck.

~TIM~

chevy-Cj-7

#4 ·

I don't really think you are going to find the reinforcement plates heavy enough to tap for the windshield
hinges, they're not really thick enough. Another thing you didn't mention about the AJ's body is the
end grain balsa rather than plywood used in construction. The plywood will eventually separate while
the end grain balsa actually wicks the epoxy into itself and becomes part of the body rather than a piece
of wood in a cavity. The biggest problem I have with my AJ's body is the reinforcement plates for the
spare tire mount have come loose and caused a bubble in the 'glass. This may have ben my own fault
because I got them pretty hot when cutting out for the tailgate. I've had mine for about six years now. I
bought it back when they still used the Kevlar which they didn't recommend at the time but I've had no
problems with it. I also asked nicely and they did the outside in the black gelcoat, since I was using a
dark color paint, I thought any scratches wouldn't show as bad.

I actually got what I think was a Shell Valley delivered to the house. It was a good thing that I had
bought it through J.C. Whitney because there were no problems when I sent that junk back. It was real
bad, some of the pieces, like the floorboards, had been unmolded too quick and had warped.

Did you get the one piece front end?

G
#5 ·

When I went to Ohio to view the bodies that he had and I was thinking the same thing about using someone elses.
I have seen Shell Valley's,AJ's, few of the others, and installed many 4WDHWD's I dont know what he sold in the past but these are definatly his!
the body that I viewed (a CJ-7)was much heavier than 4WDHWD,and at least equal to if not heavier than the AJ's
He is installing 1/4"plate in the door areas,hood mount,windshield and dash mounting areas and using contour core(not plywood) like most of them.
The bodies are double wall but unlike 4WDHWD they fill the sides with resin so fastners can be used.
In the advent that I decide to purchase one of their bodies we both agreed that a contract needs to be drawn up due to the fact that I would be the first one, and not totally sure of the final products quality and design,with none to compare it to!
I would also be able to over see the actual construction of my body.
I did talk to AJ himself around thanksgiving and he told me that the plans to produce the scramble body the first of the year was out of the question at this time due to their workload.otherwise I would have definatly considered them and never called Eagle.
If Eagle can produce a quality body for the 8 at a good price (yet to be determined) he will be getting my bussiness!

KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP
CJJ

#6 ·

If you talked to AJ, he must have made a remarkable recovery. I was told that he was deceased six
years ago when I bought my body, his widow was running the business then. Maybe it was AJ Jr., well
you can call me A, or you can call me J or...

G
#7 ·

You are correct AJ Sr is deceased!(at least that is what I was told)
I spoke with the son whos name also is AJ !
I have spoken with both AJ SR's wife and AJ Jr and both told me at one time or the other that they were running the company so I really dont know for shure who is!
I can only tell you what I was told!

KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP
CJJ

G
#8 ·

I talked to them BOTH! The wife runs all the books, office and the son runs the shop.

chevy-Cj-7

#9 ·

Where in Ohio is the manufacturer of these "Eagle" fiberglass bodies? I live about 20 minutes south of Akron, Ohio and I am in the market for a new glass tub. I've looked at 4whdwr and am not all that impressed. I would be interested in options.

G
#10 ·

Here is the information that I have on them.
Eagle Equipment
966 Porter Dr.
Wooster,Ohio44691
888-680-JEEP(5337)
330-264-0731
330-264-0797 Fax

KEEP THE SHINY SIDE UP
CJJ

#11 ·

Is this body a "duplicate" of the stock factory steel tub? How to explain
better? Most glass bodies duplicate the external appearance but underneath
they vary. Mounting systems vary by manufacturer etc. I have seen a glass
body here local (ohio) that is a virtual duplicate of the factory tub.
Right down to the c-channel type stiffeners that run under the "bed" portion
of the tub. It utilizes all the factory body mount positions (unlike
4wdhdwr) and you can even use factory body mount bushings and bolts
(threaded steel plates are glassed in on the tub). And this tub is SOLID
with a capital SOLID. In short, except for the fact that it is fiberglass
you couldnt tell it from the factory steel tub.

My problem is I would like to ask the manufacturer a few questions. Simple
enough. But for some reason the the dealer where I saw this tub wishes to
keep the name of the manufacturer a deep dark secret and will not pony up
the info.

What do you think? Does this sound like the Eagle? Btw, I appreciate the
help. Thank you.

#12 ·

I have a AJ's body and I am very pleased with it. I use my Jeep 99% of the time off-road and it has held up well. It took a fairly hard lick on schoolbus hill in Tellico this year and didn't crack or break (hit a tree in an off camber tight turn). The times I have contacted stuff with the body it has absorbed the blow. I am missing paint in several places but I don't have to worry about it rusting there anymore ;) I would highly recommend thier product.

GM[/SIZE]

#14 ·

That is the one. Unfortunately their web page has absolutely no contact info on it other than an aol mail addy. Business addy and phone number would be nice. You'd think that would be a given on a commercial web site. No matter anyway. I went and took a look at the eagle bodies and ordered one. It's mounting system is not as convenient as the diamond but I am not entirely confident that diamonds' is all that sturdy. The "fit and finish" of the eagle was much better also. Either way I appreciate the reply. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.