95YJ Shock Mounts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

95YJ Shock Mounts

I have a 95 YJ and just noticed that my rear shock mount has broken. Because it cracked about an inch above where it attached to the axle (as compared to at the weld), I will need to get a replacement and have it welded on.
Should I just go with an OEM replacement or are there upgrades available that I should consider?

Johnny B.
95YJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 01:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 95YJ Shock Mounts

I just noticed my right rear shock mount was broken also. That might be the reason why every time when I went
over big bumps and rear of my Jeep just keep bounce like crazy. I make some calls yesterday and found
a body shop close to work to do the job. I'll know by monday morning if this problem is going to be taken
care of. My trac bar's bracket had a same problem and it was repair but broke off aswell. This is why I'm not
going back to the same shop again. I rather try someone different, hope I'll have better luck this time.

Good luck,

Nycjeep88

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 02:01 PM
Can't Get Enough

This usually means that your shocks arn't long enough. I don't think that there is a stock replacement, as it is part of the axle tube. You will probably have to go aftermarket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 05:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

According to the manufacture, this shock is good from stock height to 1 1/2 inch lifted suspension. What is available for
aftermarket mounts?
Question, shouldn't other side break as well?

Thanks,

Nycjeep88

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 09:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MORE http://www.mountainoffroad.com make weld on shock mounts....RE does too http://www.rubiconexpress.com

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 01:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your YJ rear shock mounts break regularly. That is the dealerships are used to rewelding them. Have for years. I'm personally surprised when I hear of someone who hasn't broken one or both by 50K miles. I did my SOA at about 65K and just rolled over 130K on Christmas Eve. My rear shocks broke the lower brackets completely off by about 70K and I used the stock Bilsteins on new brackets on top of the axle. Got rid of the Rubicon Express furnished ProComp El Junkos and have a better system than the 'engineered' kit. I used 3/16" steel plate and mounted them sidways as compared to the stock placement. The reason here is that the SOA allows so much flex that the shock binds terribly if you mount it in the conventional fashion.
This is more answer than maybe you wanted but I hope it helps.
sln

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode