Durabak in engine bay? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 09:11 AM Thread Starter

Durabak in engine bay?

IM doing a full build up on this old CJ5, starting taking the body off, Ill paint the frame with POR15, but I was thinking about the body, Ill spray the outside white..

How would Durabak hold up UNDER the jeep and in the engine bay?? white durabak even, wouldnt this make it easier to see stuff under there?!!

Im asking if it will hold up to the inevitable leaks and engine degreaseers ill be using, any body got any experience here??!!!

thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for a Hard top near NW Arkansas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 10:37 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Durabak in engine bay?

Be careful of putting that stuff on nuts and bolts unless you're sure you'll never need to get them undone again.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

My engine is out, the fenders and front grill are gone and the tub is 2 feet above the frame...
Il put rubber plugs intop all the holes Im gonna need, and slap some bedliner on the rest!!! I just dont want to bother if its easily cut by power steering fluid, or wd40, or those other things found spraying uinder the hood...

I htought Id add it to the wheel wells, and under the tub to aid in noise reduction....

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for a Hard top near NW Arkansas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 01:55 PM
BigMan

Durabak hold up to all common solvants and fluids. It is surable. I have seen it used under the hood on showy vehicles HOWEVER durabak says not to use it in the engin compartment becuse it gets soft and gooey from the engine heat. Like I said I have seen it but not on a vehicle that's drivin dailey. I guess the choice is yours though.

Al
<a href=http://community.webtv.net/BIG-MAN-TT/BigMansJeepWorld>My web page</a>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 02:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I strongly agree with BigMan. All polyurethane liners will melt when exposed to high temperatures like that inside the engine compartment. All liner manufacturers warn against applying their liners near the cat back let alone near the headers...

A.B.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-1999, 02:51 PM

My engine bay gets hot enough to bake the paint off my hood and burn the @$$ of whoever gets the duty of sitting on it to check the depth of the water I'm driving into. I painted the underside of the hood with Durabak since I had so much left over and I have not seen it get gooey yet. Also all sorts of solvents like carb cleaner, WD40, etc have gotten on it an you could never tell. When I make my larger rear wheel-wells and get my Tuffy Trunk and Security Console I am going to buy another gallon of Durabak Black and paint all of those for a seemless, finished look and also get the undersides of the wheel-wells. If I swap trannies then I'll get more and do the underbody...you get the idea. Merry Christmas to all and thanks to Durabak for a great product!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode