Help, 95 running Rich, or lean?! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 04:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help, 95 running Rich, or lean?!

Well,

I just took my 95 YJ to the factoryto have them install a new caty, still under warranty. I hate dealers for the most part. anywyas, the guy says he will put a new cat on, but will need to check for other problems. I am going to fix it myself though.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be! it was smelling bad, running sluggish, the caty was so hot that it glowed at night!
PLEASE HELP ME< i do not want to become a victim of dealer greed...I am going to fix it, but need to know what it might be..!!

I figured you guys could help!

thanks. Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 05:49 PM

Re: Help, 95 running Rich, or lean?!

The only other cat that I've heard about glowing was one that was plugged up. If I were you I'd get it changed pretty quick. Something else they may check out is to see if any valves were burnt up. If you can't get the exhaust out, something's going to give(and this would be your valves).

87 wrangler - 258
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 07:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

A catalyst will "lite off" with the presence of high hydrocarbons. High HC's usually come from a misfiring clyinder. I would verify the mechanical condition of the engine first. Do a compression check. If it is good, do a quick check on the valve train using a vacuum guage. Mostly checking that there is no rapid flutter to the guage. Then change your complete secondary ignition, that means, cap, rotor, wires, and plugs. That should fix your problem.

Ignition timing will also effect HC's, but since you have a 4.0l, and the timing is controlled by the p.c.m. and can't change too much because the crank angle sensor is fixed, you can safely rule that out.

Most catalyst overheat and "melt down" from unburned fuels (HC's) and not rich mixtures (CO%) as most people think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2000, 11:06 PM
Wrangler88

i just got mine done 2 weeks ago for free, you do know that if you have less then 80K miles on your 95 wrangler, that jeep replaces it for free, mine died and i only have 70k miles, they put it on and everything, check that out.

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Usually if you smell rotten eggs the catalatic converter is bad. I'd replace it's probably getting plugged up.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2001, 07:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yea, all the symptoms you said, I had with the caty plugged up..

JR
"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime And Wonder If They Have Ever Made A Difference, But The Marines Don't Have That Problem" R. Regan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode