D60 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

D60

Okay,somebody help me out here.The guy at the salvage yard says the BIG axle thats under the 92 F-350 is a D60. Its a foll floater for sure,8 bolt lug pattern,and huge drums.Does anybody know? I'm thinking ford 10.25 and I didnt have my axle guide. I read in one of these posts that dana makes them both.True? Anyway,It would be going in my 83 cj7.300.00 for the axle,180.00 to narrow it.And I would have to put 410 gears in it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 09:13 PM

Re: D60

I'm off till after 1st of the year but if you don't find out by then e-mail me & I'll look it up,
Single wheel?
I'll be back the 4rth.

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 10:15 PM
utahjeepr

Not sure about the 92, but I would think it's a Dana 60 or a Dana 70. Especially since you mention the "huge" drums, the sterling uses a more traditional looking drum. Can't remember when the sterling came out in the Fords but I thought it was later than that. I'm doing a dana 60 narrow right now (actually it's on hold for a while). Where do you get the $180 figure? That is a price I've seen on the board here to have a housing narrowed (plus shipping to moser in IN) I'm narrowing the housing myself so I don't know if that is an accurate figure. BUT, that figure doesn't include new (shorter) axles at $310/pr. If you get the 60, and you want to use 35 spline axles you have to have the spindles bored out to 1.60" (from about 1.40") in order to get the axles through the spindles. Also don't forget the carrier's price if you plan on adding a locker, or L.S. Not trying to rain on your parade, but plan on spending about a grand give or take. The upside is you get a great axle for your money, better than spending hundreds to "improve" your Model 20 and then breaking it anyway.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

To id the axle look on the lower right corner on the web brace and it will tell you what the axle is, 60 or 70. You have to watch fords though, I had a truck puller tell me that ford uses some odd carrier sizes, I think he said either a dana 61 or 66 not sure but the parts acording to him aren't enterchangable with the 60. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode