Book for re-assembly of dana 44?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Book for re-assembly of dana 44??

Anyone know of any books that cover proper re-assembly of a Dana 44 front end? Is there a manual out there that covers just that? I am swapping into a vehicle that never had a Dana 44 and I don't want to buy a service manual from the vehicle it came from. It would be nice to find one that explained how to set up the gears too.
Thanks,
Aaron

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Book for re-assembly of dana 44??

anyone?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 11:00 PM
Addict

Re: Low-budget info for re-assembly of dana 44

If you are excessively cheap, you can get a free catalog from Four Wheel Drive Hardware. They have a blown-up view of the D44 and components for ordering parts. If you are moderately cheap, you can go to the nearest public library and look for a manual covering the donor vehicle in their automotive section and make a photo copy of it for a few cents. If you are just plain cheap, you may go to a dealership or large shop and request a copy of the D44 info in their service manual for a few bucks. But, if you are totally lost on how to put it back together, my advice to you is to get some professional help. If you screw it up once, you may be looking for a lot more than just a service manual on your axle!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 11:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I took it apart several months ago and just recently got around to putting it back together when I noticed that the pinion gear, which I so nicely placed everything on so I would know how to put back together, had been knocked over onto the floor. Ooops. I just need to find out what goes where.
Thanks,
Aaron

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 12:05 AM
Addict

<font color=green>I would tend to agree with J.A. in that you may want professional[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] help on this one</font color=green>

a diff is not something to just <font color=red>

SLAP TOGETHER
</font color=red>

because things like gear mesh patterns and backlash, are rather important to the long term health of your diff.

For around $8-900 parts and labor, (at least around N.H.) you won't have to deal with the pain in the ass process of setting up the diff.

<font color=white> jimbo</font color=white>

<font color=green>'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44</font color=green>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 06:56 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I would agree professional help is money well spent. I have had dana 44 ring and pinion gears set for $75 at a local rear end shop near Portland Oregon. Most do-it-yourself mechanics can get the rest of the rear end re-assembled after the critical ring and pinion are set. I've seen several service manuals from Chiltons, Haynes, and Mitchell's show good pictures of parts for rear ends.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 11:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Professioanl help? $8-900? Are you nutz? My truck isn't worth that much $$. I have a $35 set of barely used gears and many more are waiting to bought if I screw them up. I have a manual on how to set up the rear end I got for free. I just need to know how it all goes together. Thanks for the tip on the 4wheel hdwr catalog. It has exactly what I need.
Thanks,
Aaron

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 02:15 PM
Can't Get Enough

I have the Spicer Axle manual for the 44. It covers all of the 44's both front and rear. I could scan it in and e-mail it to you, but you would need the paperport viewing software, and it is 50 pages long. I tried converting it to .bmp, but that dosn't work very good (TOO large). What parts do you need?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 03:35 PM
Addict

suit yourself[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

the $8-900 was a "ballpark" quote from a local shop for replacing everything but the axle shafts with <font color=red>NEW</font color=red> parts

if you want to use used gears-- why bother with disassaembly, just swap the whole front end

<font color=white> jimbo</font color=white>

<font color=green>'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44</font color=green>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 05:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to the library, its your best choice for blow up views of your dana 44. Steve

Mopar360yj
87yj+20,74CHR.030360,SOA,35BFGATs,46RH,241DHD,
D60-44-4.10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode