81 CJ7 with "Iron Duke" - any hints on tune up? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 11:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

81 CJ7 with \"Iron Duke\" - any hints on tune up?

We recently acquired an 81 CJ7 with the "Iron Duke" 151 cu in 4 banger engine. The engine will probably be replaced with a V8 down the line, but right now it's in good shape and will be powering us down the trail for at least a couple summers.

The rest of the jeep is great: no rust, good paint, everything works, which explains why we bought it with this engine.

But any shop kinks to help with the tune up would be apprectiated. The distributor is located low on the passenger side rear of the block, under the battery. The carb is a Rochester 2SE with heaps of vacuum hoses running to and from it. Anybody who's dealt with this setup and has hints or suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. I live where there's no vehicle smog inspections and no laws about modifying your own vehicle, so I'm open to anything.

Thanks in advance and keep jeepin'

'81 CJ7, '96 ZJ, Moab every summer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 04:52 AM
I Do This For The Glory

Re: 81 CJ7 with \"Iron Duke\" - any hints on tune up?

I have the same motor, but I'm no mechanic, sorry I can't help. The motor is one of the reasons I bought my Scrambler. It had just been rebuilt and was very strong and tight (still is). The tranny and body were shot, but at least not everything was bad. The tranny was toasted, ground entering all gerars, no 3rd, 2nd only on upshifts, hold in reverse, so I tried grenading it over the course of a year but couldn't, so I swapped it out. The motor will lug to 300 rpm's and recover without problems, even some snap. Mine backfires if I don't let it idle before shutting it off, but I won't allow it to be "tuned" due to it's ability off-road. I get 20 mpg, which is better than our TJ gets, but I only use it for off-roading anyway. It always starts well on a hill (or nearly vertical), and has never failed to start or stay running, even when the tires were covered in water. I'll keep mine for a few yars, until I can get the mony for a 350, headers, 38" Boggers, and larger axles (I don't think D44's will be strong enough). The only place I notice the lack of power is the bottomless mud pits (May Mud Madness in Maine - see our website www.midcoast.com/~jeeps), but then VERY few make it through without the strap. The motor was common in a lot of cars from the era, just about any good garage should be able to help you out.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode