Understanding Vacuum System? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Understanding Vacuum System?

I would like to increase my understanding of the vacuum system on my '85 CJ7 w/258. I don't really know where all of the hoses are supposed to be connected and what all the various connectors are for. Could someone please explain the purpose of all this stuff and the basics behind the system, or point me to a page that has this information. I am not intereseted in removing everything, I just want to understand how it should be connected properly.

Thanks,
TOM85CJ7

<font color=blue>1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak</font color=blue><font color=red> On-Board Air</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 07:35 PM

Re: Understanding Vacuum System?

Sorry I don't have a good answer other than the manuals have a full rundown on the complete vacume system.
On the bright side[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] it was a good way to lighten my jeep[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 07:37 PM
Mudman

check out http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/vacuhose.htm
see if that helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 01:45 AM
Keyboard Implanted

All of those vacum lines really do nothing for your engine. Actually after '82, Jeeps didn't have internal combustion engines. The vaccum lines really run a reverse ossmosis machine that powers your Jeep through the evaporation of hydrogen steam. The engine block is just there to bolt everything too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Seriously, does anyone REALLY understand why all thise vaccum lines are there (in my '83 also). I look under the hood of my '99 Dakota and it is nearly free of those pesky rubber hoses, and I ask myself...WHY?

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>1999 Dakota 4x4</font color=purple>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

If anyone has questions about where all of those hoses are supposed to go, I now know. I spent several hours yesterday tracing all of the hoses and basically connecting every one of them. I even have a basic understanding of what they do. Most of my knowledge is based on the following pages:
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/index.htm
This primer is a great guide for those of you who have an intact emissions system, it can be very helpful in diagnosing problems with individual items in the system.

Let me know if you have any questions.

TOM85CJ7

<font color=blue>1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 32"BFG MT, Durabak</font color=blue><font color=red> On-Board Air</font color=red>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 09:17 PM

If it wasn't for all of those vacume lines think how many mechanics would be unemployed.As far as your "99 Dakota goes it is run by computer chips that is really beyond the range of normal human comprehension [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
It is like ending the "war on drugs" what would you do with an unemployed ,gun packing army of unemployed drug agents,maybe turn them into smog police HUH ?
Seriously though you kinda have to study and analyze one line or system at a time or it is like trying to learn a foreign language in one day.It will drive ya nuts if one thing is out of wack.Try to get a diagram of your SPECIFIC year and engine and model because the chilton diagrams are way off compared to the service manual for your vehicle,and the service manual has probably a dozen different diagrams in it for the one year I have.A vacume gauge or a hand vacume pump is pretty necessary to test the components.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I used the engine diagram by the radiator in conjunction with the infoe in the "Primer". After reading everything about three times and really studying all of the components it was actually pretty easy to figure out. Just go slow and don't disconnect everything at once.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode