Stripping off emmissions on 258 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Stripping off emmissions on 258

Has anyone tried to strip off all the emissions on a 258? If so has it helped or hurt performance? If done right I wouldn't think it would hurt it at all since we went years without all of it. Any input is helpfull.

87 wrangler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 05:21 PM
Addict

Re: Stripping off emmissions on 258

Well, on my ' 84 I took off everything but the EGR valve. I have a GM HEI and a Weber 32/36, and I'm quite sure it performs far better than with all that emissions crap on it. The reduced weight alone from all the miles of wires and hoses and all those little vacuum switches probably increased my gas mileage. My only issue is with the Weber. It runs rich (the exhaust smells) and is hard to start because the carb is losing gas from the float bowl and leaking down inside the intake manifold. I've been trying to find out what I have to do with that problem.

Loose nut behind the wheel
Another right-wing conservative.....
Born and raised in Jeep-Town
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 06:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well.....as long as you live in a none emissions testing state....i guess it will run ok....but I would be willing to bet that my stock 84 258 with Carter BBD, GM HEI and all those miles of vacauum hoses will run just as good if not better than the striped down version....and pass emissions....

Contrary to popular belief, all of those devices are there to help it run better...they do not take away from performance...except for maybe the EGR valve...most of the devices just tell the computer what temp certain parts of the engine is at so that it can adjust the air/fuel mixture correctly.....and if most of you are thinking that we don't need to worry about emissions...go live in Houston....since it is now the smog capital of the US....believe it or not, all those emissions controls do make a difference....especially when you have to breath the air....

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 07:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I purchased an 81 CJ w/a 258 that was missing a lot of the emissions equipment. After unsucessfully searching at least two dozen junkyards I gave up all hope of ever restoring all that stuff and decided to live with it. Then I got an emissions notice. After much parts swapping with a friend who had a complete set-up on his CJ it still wouldn't pass. I removed everything but the EGR valve and installed a re-built non-feedback BBD. Result it passed my emissions test (no visual inspection required) with flying colors. It was even cleaner than my 30,000 mile work truck. It starts better runs cleaner and has much inproved power. I strongly reccomend the no-computer non feedback set-up to anyone who has struggled with a later BBD or an incomplete or malfunctining system. If I keep it in tune I believe that it will continue to pass the state test and I am very pleased with the result.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 07:56 PM

Same as mine although I don't have to test..thank GOD[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

85'CJ7 258 4" runnin33's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 10:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not only would I do it but it would be the very first thing I did if I was ever to buy another 82-86 CJ.

LarryM
85 CJ7, 350TBI ,T19 4spd
'00 TJ Sport, NV3550 5spd, D44, Teraflex system
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 10:18 PM

Just a few questions ,
Are you running a cat converter ?
Are you running the air injection stuff ?
I tried to restore alot of it incase I happen to move to a state where it is required ,I wouldn't want to have to leave it behind ans start all over with another one.But the parts are hard to find ,I got most of it off an AMC concord but the diverter valve causes it to backfire.so it is disconnected till I can find another one ,dealers don't carry it anymore.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 11:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I think if the dealers are not required to carry emissions parts to replace malfunctioning units, you should not be required to have them at all. Maybe a 10 or 15 year period from when the vehicle is new. After that, there are probably not enough of that type of vehicle left on the road doing daily driver duty to matter anyways! All that emissions stuff does make the motor run better...when it ALL works. When just one part in the system fails, the whole system fails to work properly. My first car was a '70 Mustang Mach 1. 351 Cleveland (big valves, big cam) with a holley vac.secondary four barrel, dual exhaust, and NO emissions equiptment other than a PCV valve. It passed Wisconsin new car (1985 at the time) emissions standards. This was a big horsepower muscle car that passed because it was tuned well and ran well. I'd be willing to bet that still today (wherever it may be) it would beat any 10 year old car with all of that emissions crap on it in a smog test.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Sorry, what was the question? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Oh yeah...if it's not required by a visual test, you can probably ditch all the emissions stuff and make it run as clean as with all of that stuff on and working properly. I plan on doing the same to my '83, as of a couple weeks ago..no more testing at all in Minnesota[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]YEAH !!!!!

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>1999 Dakota 4x4</font color=purple>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 01:07 AM
Addict

Here's my 2 cents...

your '87 is a computer controlled engine,<font color=red>(I think, anyway)</font color=red>, so it probably would not run well without its' sensors hooked up and working.

I agree with the well tuned old motor crowd as I've owned a few vehicles that passed the test we had here a few years back.

<font color=red>I'm sure we will have a new test as soon as our loving politicians get it railroaded through</font color=red>

but, when a computer controled engine is working correctly, you would have a hard time topping it's performance, (emmissions and performance-wise), with the controls disabled.

also, it is nice to not have to sweat inspection time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

good luck to you...

<font color=white> jimbo</font color=white>

<font color=green>'74 CJ5,232 I6,T15,Dana 30&44</font color=green>
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 01:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I agree with the statement that when a computer controled car is working correctly, it cant be beat. Problem is, there are sooooo many things that give feedback to that computer, which in turn, sends signals to control engine functions, that if one vaccum line is cracked, or one temp sensor is a bit off, the whole system breaks down and WILL leave you stranded somewhere with no idea of what is wrong. If you know motors and the related components, and you have a non computer/sensor controled vehicle, you will have very few problems. Please don't get me wrong. I LOVE things like EFI and such. I'd just prefer to keep dual purpose (street/trail) vehicles as simple as possible. When a float sticks, you can pop the top off the carb and fix it. If the chip that controls the fuel map in your computer fries, your not going anywhere until you find a dealer. I guess I just like to be a little more self sufficient than that. Sorry for rambling.

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
<font color=purple>1999 Dakota 4x4</font color=purple>
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode