TJ 5-spd Problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

TJ 5-spd Problems

I am having problems with my 98 TJ shifting from 1st to 2nd when my Jeep is cold. I've had it to my dealer about 5 times. They changed out the syncros once and changed out second gear and the syncro another time. The latest is that they are going to put synthetic oil with additive. They have said the Tech Hotline advised that there is nothing they can do. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TJ 5-spd Problems

yeah, I have. The AX15 transmission, from what I've heard on this board, is noted for that problem. Awhile back, I took mine to the dealer a few times too. They even went so far as to replace the whole unit!!! Thankfully, it was all covered under my 7 yr / 100,000 mile warranty so didn't cost me anything. Guess what? - same problem with the new one too! Just goes to show how much some dealers know about their own products I guess - cost the insurance company some $$$ for no good reason though.

Chuck
1995 YJ 4.0 5spd, 3" body lift, 32" Bridgestones (w/damn 3.07 gears), Durabak
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TJ 5-spd Problems

Apparently a common problem. It helps to double-clutch when shifting from first to second with the transmission cold.

As far as a cure, I don't have one. I changed to Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic gear oil in the transmission and diffs, which had helped in our Samurai. It helped the shifting of the AX15, but not as much as I'd hoped. I changed the transmission back to a non-sythetic 75w-90 when I found out that the '98 AX15 isn't supposed to use a GL-5-only gear oil. I changed to Redline MT-90 synthetic gear oil (75w-90) a few weeks ago. It made a bigger difference than the Mobil 1.

I still often get a catch when shifting from first to second, and occasionally when shifting into third. I try to "feel" my way into the gear instead of forcing it. I've got 35k miles now. It seems to shift better if I'm pulling a trailer, and/or if I'm letting the engine rev a bit more than called for by the "Shift, stupid" light. Note that I'm running the factory 30x9.50 GSAs with factory 3.73 gears.

Bill

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode