Next Project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Next Project

<font color=blue>
Ok... xmas shopping is done, so I can start spending my money on ME again (well, in the next month or so...)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I'm thinking that I will just get a new cat-back exhaust. I still need rims&tires (running 31x10.5 BFG-AT on stock rims), but it takes a long time to save up that kind of $$$... so I'm looking in the 300 dollar upgrade area. I'm looking to upgrade my offroad performance.

I will eventually need to replace both front and rear axles, so will leave those alone until I break one (I know, stupid, breaking down on the trail!)

Any other ideas? I'm not tech savvy enough to install new gears... at least I don't think I am. How much work is this?

Besides, why change the gears if I'm going to get new wheels in the next 12 months or so? and axles in the next 36 months or so?

Any other ideas? I don't mind the time, so much as the frustration of failing, and having to redo it.

<font color=blue>Jon-YJ94
<font color=red>a work in progress
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:25 PM

Re: Next Project

Safety is always good, how about a rollcage, (connected to the frame)
if you don't have access to the tools to build one they are starting to make some kits for YJ's,
http://www.jl4wd.com/boltin.htm
http://www.kentrolinc.com/kentrolsto...tep=4&which=37
i haven't researched these actual parts, it's just an idea

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>That's a good idea... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
MORE makes a nice one too.
what will the roll cage block on my dashboard?

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What about a LockRite up front, or one in the rear if it is open? Easy to do and under $300.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:37 PM

i can't say about the aftermarket kits, but mine blocks the speakers and the bolts on the bracketsthat keeps the windshield from folding down, if there are any drawbacks it's that you can hit your foot on the "down bar" when getting in your jeep.

3/4tonYJ
<font color=red>My Jeep Page
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>The rear is limited slip. (trac-loc, factory installed for $250 (just read my window sticker looking for the price of the new soft-top...))

How much work is installing a lock-rite? Special tools? Is it worth the upgrade until I can afford new axles? Will it change on dry surface driving characteristics?

I've never opened up a diff (though, I need to change my lube in there soon!)) and want to get the cover off and paint it... What damage will I do?

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Putting the LockRite in the 30 in my CJ took about 2 hours or so. Easy to do, no adjustments necessary. In a 30 I'd say it's an OK
upgrade, just as long as you aren't running anything bigger than 33s. If you do rather extreme trails on rock like we have here, I'd
say sooner or later it will decide to self destruct, not the locker itself, the diff carrier. But, they are cheap enough, I paid about $220,
and they do work. Only special tool is a torque wrench. BTW, when you do decide to upgrade axles, it would be a selling point.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Since you have the limited slip in the rear diff., you'll need a new carrier if you want to install a lockrite in the rear. It doesn't work
with the limited slip carrier. I'd say put the lockrite up front.

Gary
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

THe MORE cage kit for your YJ would be good...that is my next upgrade. I have been on a lot of trails where I wanted to try something and I couldn't cause I didn't have a cage.

Although the Lock Rite ain't a bad idea either......hmmm...I would go with the cage...personal opinion

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 10:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Personally I like the front locker idea.
If you are interested in a cage, email me at [email protected] I was talking to Duffy about his scrambler that is featured this month at http://off-road.com/toc and he said that he builds customer cages. A lot stronger than the MORE and J&L stuff, but the pain killer is making my head fuzzy so I can't remember the specs. Just a thought.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode