78 Cherokee D44's swap on CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Addict

78 Cherokee D44\'s swap on CJ

I recently aquired a 78 Cherokee - (AMC360/GMTH400/BW1305/D44's F&R.) I would like to do a SOA swap with the stock front and rear axles in my 78 CJ with the stock D44's on this Cherokee - w/o axle chop. Has anyone here done this swap before (again, w/o axle chop)? If so, what are the major obstacles you encountered?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 10:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 78 Cherokee D44\'s swap on CJ

The two biggest things are that the rear axle is probably offset to the right if it has a Quadratrac TC. This is a problem if you are running a tc with a centered rear output.
The other problem is that if you dont cut the front end down, you have to move your spring hangers and shackles to the outside of the frame rails on a CJ. The springs are set wider apart on a Wagoneer and you cant move the right side perch in because of the pumpkin. If you cut them, you can make them work, but if you want them full width they wont work without a lot of mods. Good luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-22-1999, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks for the reply. The TC as mentioned in my first post is the BW1305 single speed, so the rear diff is centered on the axle. As for the front, the pumpkin is indeed further to the outboard (shortside) portion of the axle as you have stated. (For anyone with an answer-) Do you know of any advantages/disadvantages with placing these items on the outside of the frame rail? Obviously, making them stong enough - but, are there other components that will suffer by doing this fabrication? (Remember, I am doing a SOA.) Also, if I set these at the same width on the rear as the front, will this cut down on spring wrap/axle hop, or will I still have to fabricate a ladder bar type device to compensate for this?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 08:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok I thought that tc was the offset one, my bad. Anyway, I looked into doing those axles on my cj, but the person doing my fabricating kinda, not really, talked me out of it. He said it was perfectly doable and would be a good swap, I just wasnt willing to spend the extra money for him to do all the custom fab work. Its just a matter of bracing the spring hangers enough, I believe. He said that he has done it before. He did say you would lose a little articulation because of the springs being placed wider than normal, but that it wouldnt be drastic. If you want to call him, his name is Jeff Beach and his number is 801-233-0389. He is super knowlegeable and can answer any question for you, he custom builds all kinds of jeep stuff.
Also remember you will need six lug wheels unless you got one of the few five luggers that are out there. Good Luck

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 08:46 PM

BW1305? the only single speed transfrec case i can think of in the late 70s is a quadratrac without the lo range option...

are you sure the rear diff inst offset more than normal?

if its centered please enlighten us and do tell what a BW1305 is?
Im assuming its a borg and Warner quadratrac unit...

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for a Hard top near NW Arkansas!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Addict

(To cjdriver-) Thanks for the contact! That's the best info I have received, and I will be giving him a call. Since I purchaced the full rig, I have have 6 lug wheels with 33" already mounted on them. Also, thanks for the note on the articulation. I thought this may be the case, but since this was just a calculated guess on my part with no prac-app to back it up, it is another valuable piece of knowledge. This helps in leaning toward going SOA with flatter springs since I would be fabbing the whole thing anyway. I should be able to gain this articualtion loss back with this setup. Thanks again!

(To ozarkjeep-) Correct, it is the QT with the no low range unit. However, the rear diff on the D44 is dead center. Don't ask me how or why - I'm not an FSJ'er. That's why I bought it to use on my CJ - along with the fact that it also had a D44 up front and a rebuilt 360 to boot! BTW - I *MAY* have a contact near home on that hard top. Go to my profile and "private" email me and I will be happy to send you the info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode