Rearend Clunk.. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Rearend Clunk..

I have a real nice clunk that seems to be coming from my rear axle. I have an 83 CJ7 with stock axles and relatively new 33 inch tires and a manual tranny. When step on it(the gas) it clunks, and if i'm at a high rpm, in first or second, then take the gas off real quick, so as to jolt the car, it will clunk again. I have two piece axles so i'm hoping it is that. Any suggestions? Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 09:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Rearend Clunk..

You are very possibly right. Back in 1985 when I had a new CJ7 I experienced the same thing, turned out the big nut on one axle
needed to be tightened, it was just starting to do the 1 piece axle thing. Barring that, if you have a TrakLok, you may have a problem
there, it could be very worn with possible breakage.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 10:07 AM
Official Historian

i'd start with the usual things: u-joints, transmission mounts.

79/CJ-7/AMC360/TH400/Q-TRAC/d30/d44/33's/Herculiner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 10:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

First check...with it on the ground and the emergency brake on, grab the driver shaft and turn it back and forth...if the u-joints are bad you will feel and see movement in them.
My bet is the axle...I just replaced mine with the one piece kit and I had the same noise as you....a very LOUD clunk....what has happend is the spline is already stripped and the only thing keeping it from spining is the key.....its just a matter of time before it goes.

I bought Superior axles from Drive Train Direct...$299...great kit...easy to install.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 01:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just another idea of what to look for, I don't know how common it is but... On my XJ the motor mounts were going bad and would allow a little too much movement when I would give it some gas... The extra movement moved the entire exhaust system and banged the tail pipe against part of the frame.. It only happened when there was enough torque to move the engine on the mounts... Anyways, I was getting rid of the XJ soon, so I did a little creative bending [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].....

Steve

1994 YJ Sahara
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 10:24 PM

My drive shaft use to clunk ,I had one built locally and saved about $60.00 buck off prices in catalogs(check locally first) including shipping.it is far cheaper and easier to fix your U joints or driveshaft,than axels,I had to do those also

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-23-1999, 10:51 PM

it sound like u-joints too me. A rear gear is preety hard to break unless you try to break it. What I have seen they will whine first. A clunk is something that move back and forth the gear if setup right has a backlash in thousand so it be hard too hear. spider and axle I do not know never broke any. I think the clunk is u joints or loose yoke.

brownbagg </font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode