winch selection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

winch selection

I am thinking about getting a ramsey rep 8000 winch from rosser jeep but would like to know if anyone has had bad luck with this winch it will not be used for a lot of winching as i live in nothern nevada and i use this jeep for hunting and getting to back country lakes for fishing. thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 11:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: winch selection

Oh no, let's not start another Warn/Ramsey/hydraulic debate. Anyway, with the state of current technology, they are all pretty darn good. I've had a Warn for 14 years, but I'm sure a Ramsey is just as dependable.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 06:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was recently on a trail ride in western mass where i witnessed 2 Ramseys fail within 30mins of each (cause unknown) and the trusty Warn8000 saved the day. I dont have a winch to have a REAL opinion. I am just relaying what i saw.

My .02

Kevin Speicher
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/
79 Jeep CJ-7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 08:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I also saw a Ramsey fail this weekend here in the GREAT state of Texas while on a trail ride. When I go to get a winch it will be WARN for me !

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 08:15 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I have a Ramsey REP 8000 on the front of my Scrambler, I bought it off my brother for $300 (with fairlead and plate) so he could buy his 8274. It's a good winch, he used it lots of times, even stalled it out once, had to hook another to him, bumper and radiator were plowing mud as the jeep kept going south. He just rebuilt it and I have no hesitation about using it anywhere. It's better if you use it doubled up, it's slower, but it won't heat up and will last a lot longer. BTW guys, I know of several Warn's that have quit due to hard abuse, even a M12,000, so it depends on the abuse and use. For 82CJ7, it should be fine. Another note, the faster winches, as my brother found, are a pain in the neck when needing a slow line speed, such as uprighting a vehicle, traversing a side slope, and winching a vehicle onto (or off) an obstacle.

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 08:41 AM
DRM
Keyboard Implanted

First off, I have seen just about EVERY kind of winch fail at some time, some place. I personally used my Ramsey REP 8000 to winch a Land Cruiser up Guardrail at Tellico because it's Warn XD9000 stalled out.
I have had my Ramsey for about 3 years, and it has never failed me. I have done side by side pulls with a Warn XD9000i, and I can tell you that mine way WAY slower. I would have to say that line speed is the only real downfall of the Ransey REP8000 - at least the old ones. I haven't checked, maybe the new REP series winches have a larger motor - I know the ProPlus does.
I recently got a Warn XD8000i from carparts.com and plan to mount it to the front of my Toy simply because of the increased line speed. The Ramsey will get moved to a custom mount in my new flatbed. I guess give me a little time & I can give first had experience of how both Warn & Ramsey winches work.

One more thing, ever check what they use on the back of rollbacks & wreckers? Ramsey anyone? To me, for repetative use like that, seems they use Ramsey's for a reason...

David
Davids 4x4 Page
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 09:49 AM

Did those winch fail because of winch or batterys. I fail a warn 6000 on a toyota years ago not because of winch but the salt air and the solinoid. Dealer say it was lack of used. I run a warn 8274 now because it came with the jeep.

My advice: Buy the biggest winch you can afford, brand name who cares, ANY winch is better than none. If the company been in business longer than ten years it a good winch.

beside these winches that fail consider what they might have been doing, vehicle size, vehicle care, operator error, trail diffucult etc.

brownbagg </font color=red>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 11:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would do some backround research on winches in general. Series wound v. permanent magnet motors, etc... I don't yet have a winch on the farmjeep, but when I do, I think it will be one of those Superwinch S9000...

Measure once, cut twice...or is that the other way around?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 11:45 AM
I Do This For The Glory

If I had to buy a whinch with any amount of money I would not have bought the REP 8000, but for the limited money I had, it is great. A lot better than no winch, and I have plenty of jeeps to move it to when I upgrade. The M12,000 died internally, the connections were shot (flat spot in the motor?) and the winch would pull only occasionally. Being a worm gear, when it died, he was there, no way to back it off.
I think the original winch question dealt with the REP 8000 because it's the lobest priced new winch I have seen. If I had my choice I'd go with something different, but for now it'll do. Any winch that can get out out of a jam is a good one, just like a jeep. There are all sorts of discussions, LWB, SWB, to flex or not to flex. The answer to all questions is what works for you, that's what makes this board so interesting. Just my nickel's worth...

JEEPN
'97 TJ Sport
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
'71 Commando SC-1
'51 CJ-3A
'47 CJ-2A
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 12:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Speaking of series wound v. permanent magnet, the series wound is more durable. A permanent magnet motor's capacity is reduced
a little bit every time it is used, if it is overheated or stalled its capacity goes way down. Not an issue with a series wound motor.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode