Top bolts on the back shackles Q, and brakeline Q.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 01:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Top bolts on the back shackles Q, and brakeline Q....

Hey has anybody ever had this problem, last night when I was working on lifting my jeep, we were just getting to the back, and when we were taking off the old shackles we noticed that we couldn't lol, the top bolts of the shackles were facing the gas tank.... I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them, We're gonna try and chop the bolts tonight, with a new metal hacksaw blade, and WD40, lol... To my brakeline Q, OK, I got new stainless brakelines w/ my lift (RE 4.5 in Extreme Duty lift kit), but when I went to install them I can't get the old ones off, anyone have any pointers on how to do this????

Thanks a lot,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 01:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Top bolts on the back shackles Q, and brakeline Q....

Peter,...

I have the same problem, "They" must install the shackles first and then the tank. I was going to install new greasable bolts anyway with the new shackles, so they are gooing to be cut. As for the brakelines at the rear a ireplaced the whole rear break line for a monel line (well actuallly the tame mechie did when I was offshore). OK I know I should have done it myself but time-pressure and lack of garage made me pay for it. Honest the next time I will do it myself, honest [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]. Anway the front have diffent conncetions so have been in contact with the supplier but no reply yet [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]!

Speaking of brakeshas anybody any experineces with these auto-bleed bolts (from Russel/Goodrich I think)?

BlueJay
93 YJ with upgrades (and it is <font color=blue>Blue!</font color=blue>)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 01:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>
Yes, I had that problem too. Thought I was going to lose it when I saw that the bolt was "inboard".

I have the 19gal tank, but I was able to loosen the bolts enoough to push get the nut off, then pull off one side of the shackle. I then just wedged/pushed/pulled it out... no cutting/drilling required. It didn't take very long... Putting them back on with upgraded hardware is an enjoyable thing, too...

<font color=blue>Jon-YJ94
<font color=red>a work in progress
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't tell me you put it back on the same way it came out[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 03:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>
No, I didn't put it back the same way... reason grabbed a hold of me, and beat me with common sense, this one time... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But, I went from stock bolts to some humongo things... and the nylabolt barely fit next to the exhast tip... I had to have my wife hold the bolt in place (little hands) and I tried to thread the bolt blindly...

[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 08:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had this problem also, I pulled my spring hangers then installed the upper bolt, re-mounted the spring hanger.

AustnJPR

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 12:17 PM
Addict

Same here, I had to remove the spring hanger. Unfortunately, I snapped one of the bolts securing the hanger, with no way to remove the stub. Since I was replacing the shackles, I drilled & tapped two holes in the frame and used the old shackle plate to secure the hanger. Hasn't come loose yet.....

-Dana

If we wish to "restore" respect for the law, a good start would be to pass only laws that people will respect.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 12:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I do believe that is not a solution/option on a YJ.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 12:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Last night I had a stroke of luck, then of course it ended but ohh well [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ... OK here's how it goes, I lay down under my car and started to saw, after some time of doing this I was starting to get frustrated, so I whiped out the trusty old hammer and started hitting the hell out of this bolt, after a few minutes of this I noticed that the old bushing (the one opposite the gas tank side one) was coming loose, so I pulled this out w/ a pair of pliers, and what to my glee, the bolt came something like half way out, I got the biggest grin on my face that I have had in a long time [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] , sooooo I moved the bolt around and after a little of this it came loose, and can you guess what I did next, I thru that bolt across the garage (nobody else was there).... so I did this to the other side and soon enough it came out to, lol... Thanks a lot for your help guys... I am still trying to get on my new stainless brake lines, but ohh well, soon enough, lol....

Thanks again,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ, coming closer to having a lift on it, lol....

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue>On the brakeline Q:

For the back lines, my shop ended up taking it off while doing some welding. I just cut off the rubber line up and out of the way. Make sure you take off the axle "Y" and give it a good cleaning. Mine was filthy (i.e.: dirt in the brake lines = BAD and EXPENSIVE). The Diff breathers run out of this Y as well...You will need to move them a little to accomodate for all of that travel you'll get with 4.5" lift.

On the front: go to Home Depot/Sears and buy crown (is that the correct name?) wrenches. Get a set of them. They're the best thing since ol' willy himself... Instead of gripping a nut on the corners, like a regular socket/wrench, it grips the sides, virtually eliminating stripping, and giving you lots of torque to loosen it.

To get to the driver side brake line, you will need to take off the air intake box and then STRETCH to the nut! It will take some time to loosen the nut, but they will come off. Presoak in WD-40, etc...

My guess is that your brake lines will hinder your travel, seeing as most steel lines are 18"... you might need 20" or so...

Best of luck, and keep us posted... Did your replace your shackles? If they're off, just replace 'em...

[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode