Am I having fun yet? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Am I having fun yet?

How many of you guys have been here? Spent a few hours today with the heater and air duct. Got lucky, the heater fit first shot- the head scratching came with the upper air duct and the grille opening on top of cowl, which ended up about 1 1/2 inches further back than originally. Everything seems to end up a little different due to the differences in the metal vs. the 'glass bodies. I ended up shortening the bottom of the duct where it goes onto the heater about 1 inch, everything seems to fit well. So far, I have spent more time on this than anything else. The guy in the video makes it look so easy!!??!
http://pages.cthome.net/kebfarm/jeep2.jpg

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:37 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Am I having fun yet?

That was the biggest problem I had with the whole swap to the 'glass body. I cut as much as I could out
of the firewall side of the flange where the upper and lower sections of the fresh air case met. This let me
get it in against the firewall a little more. Still need to trim the bottom if I ever want to put the part back
from the fresh air duct to the heater. My computer fro the TPI is in the way too so I haven't put that back
yet.

Only other problems I had were running grounds to everything and finding places to mount stuff on the
firewall. Since I got the one piece front end, I had to move a lot of stuff from the inner fenders.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I really thought about doing the one piece glass front thing, when I bought the Jeep, it already had 'glass fenders and the hood and grille are fine (about the only pieces I salvaged!) Luckily, I don't any computers to fight with on an 80.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

To answer your question, yes I do believe you are having a whole lotta fun.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:46 PM
Addict

Yup, been there, done that. Got a heater assy from the junkyard-- the previous owner (who had put the glass body on) had simply built a wood box around the heater core and glued a sawed-off blower to it-- it kept my right foot warm and that's about it. No hood grille. Locating and drilling the holes in the firewall for the proper heater was lots of fun, getting the ductwork in even more fun [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]. I just love laying on the seat with my head under the dash and my feet on the headrest.....

-Dana

In England, the cops say, 'Halt or I'll say halt again!'

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 03:44 AM
Official Curmudgeon

I know what you meant, but I can't agree with the "Luckily, I don't any computers to fight with on an 80"
comment. Mine is an '80 as well and I installed the computer along with a tuned port 305 which I bought
with ALL accesories, fuel pump, computer, and what was left of the wiring harness for $700. Now, that
was luck when you consider the injection system alone w/computer is bringing $700 on ebay and
sometimes that's without the distributor.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 04:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ah, a tuned port small block would be well worth tangling with all those wires and 'puters. I was refering to the icky 81 and up BBD's. I've been toying with the idea of a 4.3 V-6 and T350 'matic for it, if a donor vehicle happens my way someday.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode