Single wire alternater oops... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 01:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Single wire alternater oops...

A buddy recently installed a rebuilt Delco alternater converted to single wire in his CJ. Fired it up, all was fine till he went to shut the engine off. Durned thing keeps right on running! Seeing as its kind of a pain to open the hood and dis-connect the battery every time you want to shut it down, I was hoping someone could enlighten us as to why this is, especially as I have one in my CJ project.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 01:32 PM

Re: Single wire alternater oops...

some reason the iginition circuit got wired with the alternator, instead of the battery. On my one wire delco the alt one wire went to the battery positive. check where the old alt feed the iginition power feed.

brownbagg </font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 02:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your probably backfeeding voltage through your alternator (which is still charging as long as it is turning)to the ignition on circuit. This can be eliminated by using a diode to only allow the ignition on voltage to flow into the alternator, not from the alternator to the ignition. If you have an aftermarket ignition, such as the MSD6, they only need a few milliamps into the ignition sense wire to keep running. Hope this helps, good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm-As far as the wiring goes, all that was hooked up was the main wire to the output on the alternator. His Jeep is a 75 with an ammeter, now I'm curious to see if my 80 with a voltmeter will behave the same way. That will be awhile yet, I'm doing the fiberglass body thing right now.
Thanks

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:24 PM

I think this is wrong, the main wire goes to battery and the output of alt goes to positive of battery. so in effect the engine is alway running off battery and the alt is replacing power that lost. But there must be some way to break the power to the ignition( which would be the key) so power must be routed around the key.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 09:55 AM

I been researching this all night, everything on the net and my manuals say hook the alt outout to positive battery. Now on the three wire delco it says to hook output to positive battery and 1,2 to positive switch, It also claims that if 1,2 is hook to positive at coil it will run on because no method to break circuit. So I would look at where the main is hook to the alt. There must besome type of switch after the alt and before the coil.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 02:48 PM

Check with your local alt shop. they can make you a plug with a diode in
it that will solve the problem. I got mine when I had the alt built. It
only cost a few bucks. If you can't find one let me know and I'll get
my nephew's alt shop to make one for you.

C-Ya.....................kh
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 05:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks guys, when either of these Jeeps get fired up again, we'll have to start digging. I'm beginning to wonder if we did ourselves any favors with these single wire conversions. We have used these from a local rebuilder on a few other vehicles and old tractors without any problems.

Grant
60 CJ5
80 CJ5
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-1999, 04:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

ok i checked out my 86 Eagle with factory Delco 66 amp alt.,here is the way the factory wired it.The large charge wire from the rear of the alt.called BATT,runs to the
terminal on the fender mounted starter sol. Connected to the same side as the positive battery cable.
The (1) or Field wire from flat plug on alt. is about six inches long,and runs around rear of altinator and also is (was) connected to the BATT
terminal as well,It is now connected to my positive battery terminal.The other (2)or ign wire from flat plug runs into firewall,thru a double
lead (no ground) idoit light and to the ign switch where the wire is hot only when the key is in the run position.
Seems to me as simple as this is,it would be cheaper and just as easy to hook up on non Delco systems as a 'one wire'Even easier
if you added a resistor inline to the ign wire like someone suggested and didnt care about having the idoit light.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-24-1999, 08:47 PM

More than likely the run on is caused by the so called '1 wire' conversion.
The battery terminal, (BATT) in hooked up internally to the other connections on the regulator.
There is no way to do this correctly. All one wire hookups are a compromise.
The #'1' terminal is supposed to be for the 'Idiot' light, and puts out 12 volts positive at considerable amperage when the alternator is charging.
In a one wire alternator, this terminal is wired to the 'BATT' terminal internally, and will self energize even if the key is off.
The power is probably getting into the ignition system at either the coil feed wire, (often used to power the switched side of alternators) or it's getting around or through the starter solenoid. There is an ignition circuit on almost every starter solenoid, and if the wiring is wrong, or the terminals are touching each other it will keep running. That's where I would start looking.

So many cats, so few recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode