Intermittent wipers - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:13 AM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

Intermittent wipers

I have an '80 Jeep CJ and would like to have intermittent wipers. I want an OEM switch to replace the
original in the dash, no little boxes with knobs hanging under the dash. I'll also need a controller box
and from a couple of posts I've read here the Jeep one is prone to burn out and expensive. I searched
for web sites but found nothing for what I wanted.

Has anybody done this successfully? Any web sites?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 11:23 AM
cjjunkie

Re: Intermittent wipers

I havent done this but have thought of trying .
I know that 4WDHWD carries the switch it is listed for 83-86 CJS and is 54.75.
they also list 2 windshield motors,one for 76-83 which is 3 wire and one for 83-86 4wire with a flat plug both motors are 79.99 .
I am not sure if the motor needs to be replaced or not havent looked into it enough

CJJ
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Official Curmudgeon

I saw the same thing, but I wasn't sure if the switch contained the timing module or if it was still another
part to buy. A schematic on the YJ shows an extra wire comming back from the park switch on the
wiper motor, I'm not sure if an earlier motor could be modified to provide the correct signal or not. I was
also wondering if the switch Jeep used fit anything else, I'd at least like to try it out with salvage yard
parts to see if it worked and what I need and what I don't.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 10:46 PM
cjjunkie

Anyone else have any input?

CJJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 08:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am working on this idea at this time. I also have a 80 CJ 7 that I have swapped a Wrangler tub & a 4.0 motor . Never liked the knob on the dash. I resently obtained a column from a 94 Wrangler and I have ordered the intermittent module from local Jeep dealer. Now looking for Wrangler wiper motor. The year does not seem to matter , the part # is same for all years. The biggest obstical seems to me is the wiring. I have a 94 Jeep shop book so wire diagrams are very good. The hardest part will be grafting the CJ wiring to Wrangler and splicing dimmer switch up to column. When I am done I will write down everything and post if you want. Brian

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 10:08 AM

You might want to look at the setup on an early 80's full-size Bronco. I never really dug into it (used to have an '84), but I remember that the switch was in dash in worked the same way as the CJ switch does. Don't know if it has a "black box" for the timing or what, but it'd probably be worth a look...I'd imagine that a similar vintage F-series pickup would have the same parts.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is what I've done to my '85 CJ7. I went to the junkyard and found a Grand Wagoneer that had intermittent wipers. I bought the wiper switch and the black box, which is up under the dash, for a few dollars. Everything just unplugs from the wiper motor under the dash. The plug is round in shape and I don't remember how many wires there are. The switch looks just like the non-intermittent switch.

Now, how do you tell if the donor vehicle has intermittent wipers? Turn the wiper switch to the left and you'll feel the reostat sliding. A non-intermittent system won't turn to the left at all.

I've also seen intermittent systems on Eagles and other AMC vehicles that will work. The way I understand it, AMC used many of their same parts in many different models to cut down on expenses.

I'm not sure what year these started to what year they ended. Hope this helps. This is a cool BBS, I've just found it today

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2000, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you can find a LAREDO model in a junk yard, it will have a tilt column, and intermittent wires. I was going to do the swap but there was an extra
wire on the intermittent and I didnt feel like messing with tracing it to see where it went. I did swap columns though and it is sooo nice to have a tilt
column. Just keep yours eyes open I know that a 1984 laredo model cj7 has intermittent wipers, other than the extra wire it looks pretty straight
forward. You might try buying one at a parts store for a 1984 cj7 laredo and then reading a chilton to find the extra wires home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode