2nd Battery - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 07:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

2nd Battery

Since I now have a winch I am thinking of a second battery to my Red-top Optima. From reading the deep cycle battery is better for winching, but can I use a Red-top next to each other if they used seperately: Red-top as Starter, Yellow Top as winch/aux light.

Can they be connected parallel or do I need solenoid system/separate charging to keep them isolated?

muchas grassy *rs

BlueJay
93 YJ with upgrades (and it is <font color=blue>Blue!</font color=blue>)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 07:35 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: 2nd Battery

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Bulejay.....I'm glad you asked that question! (that's how the bull-throwers in Washington respond to citizen questions which they have NO IDEA how to answer[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]) You are on the right track here, and I will give you the benefit of years of experience running electric cranes on service rigs. Yes, you CAN use a deep-cycle battery for the winch. And YES, you don't want to hook 'em together as if it was all fine and normal. ANd YES, you do need a solenoid to separate them while the engine is not running. We just went to the auto parts and bought a "Continuous Hold" solenoid (looks just like a Jeep solenoid or a Ford solenoid) and set it up between the battery (+) cables......then we bought a HOBBS oil pressure switch that closed when oil pressure came up. Key feeds Hobbs switch...Hobbs feeds solenoid...solenoid connects batteries to charge. You connect all of the auxillary loads to the deep cycle battery. Normal Jeep factory wiring and loads stay on the first battery, just as before. You CAN put a button on the dash to momentarily energize the solenoid if you want help cranking, OR you can just jump the solenoid under the hood to get help cranking. So you see, with the engine running, both batteries are working the winch, engine stopped, only the deep cycle works the winch.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

CJDave,...thanks!

I thought that was the right way, Just needed to confirm that with the kazillion years of experience available on this board!

Now I just need to find the right kit (Warn? Wrangler Power?? Painless Wiring? Optima themselves??) The quest starts [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

BlueJay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:30 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Forget the kit; that's for high school kids. Just go get the solenoid, the oil pressure switch, some wire, and when you get it all in place, go to a welding supply store and get them to make the cables you need to the exact length and with the exact terminals you want to match the solenoids and the winch input. You will maybe want to buy a nice dual battery tray. It's probably easier than fabbing one up.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahhh the battery tray has to be home made, because my battery is actually located on the left side of <font color=blue>BlueJay</font color=blue>, This because the right side is occupied by the brake system since it is a right hooker!

I'll look into the solenoid bits etc seems straight forward (famous last words!)

BlueJay
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:03 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Oops! I forgot who I was posting to. Yeah, that will be a fab-up job for sure. Lessee, are you in Aberdeen right now, or in the states? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] For some crazy reason, I didn't immmediately connect with the name[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]Bluejay, although I should have picked up on it right away. Oh well, just getting old I guess.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Och aye, up North freezing my ......er,.. you know whats of, It's already dark as well, no fun this far north [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]!

Am going for the Stainless steel plating/grating, probably can get the mech here onboard make me soemthing up for nil$, I'll have to do some serious designing to get all the measurements right, Wish I had autoCad or something to work with. (is the fire wall of a YJ true vertical? hhmmm have to get my inclino-thingy out to check that, I wish had a large garage to work in! Too much snow out on the ground now [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

BlueJay
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 09:31 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Aye....it's a Jeep thing.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode