Help with winch wiring and cable gauge - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 05:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Help with winch wiring and cable gauge

I've decided to move the solenoid pack of my winch to inside the engine compartment and have a question about what gauge of cable to use. The two battery leads are 1G cable and currently the three wires connecting the solenoid pack to the winch are 2 G. I can't seem to locate 2 G cables with the proper ends anywhere, but today I found 1 G cable with the correct ends at NAPA. The guy at NAPA said the 1 G should be no problem in place of the 2 G and I tend to agree since the new cables will be longer and the heavier gauge will provide less resistance. Any thoughts? Should I keep searching for 2 G cable or go ahead with the 1 G? Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 06:38 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Re: Help with winch wiring and cable gauge

You've got it exactly right, longer run, bigger cable for less resistance. It's always all right to use a
bigger wire size, only problem is cost or unless it's being used as a fusible link. Smaller number means
bigger wire size.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 07:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Whenever I need custom heavy copper cables, I send my moonguy team[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] right over to my welder's supply outfit and the welder guys make up whatever I need out of welding cable. They will have the correct terminals and all that good stuff.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Welding cables come in a wide range of AWG, and are multi-multi-multi stranded for super current carrying ability. I used welding cables exclusively in all of our electric cranes on the service rigs.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]Damn that was a quick response--and from the gurus I was hoping for! Sounds like Monday I'll hit the welder supply shops, but if they can't help then I'll just go with the 1G cables from NAPA. Thanks guys!!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 12:17 AM

CJDave and the gang are correct about the welding cable! That is a secret that seems to be getting out lately.
Welding cable is finer stranded, so it will carry more amperage, and most welding cable is all virgin copper instead of the alloy mixes that seem to be creeping in and passed off as 'battery' cables.
If you take care and look the selections over, you will find that some welding cable comes with a rubber type insulation instead of the slick plastic type insulation normally found on 'battery' cables. The rubber type insulation is much more abrasion resistant, a better electrical insulator and is easier to bend in the winter, (a real plus when used a jumper cables in the winter)
Virgin copper solders much better, and I haven't seen a good welding shop that can't supply you with just about any kind of ends you may need.
Don't forget the heat shrink tubing to seal the crimp or solder joints, and make the installation look much nicer.
Happy trails. Aaron.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 12:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

on the 8274s that i have installed, i used 0 guage for the power and ground to the control pack, and 1 guage to the motor. the pack was still on the motor, so 1 guage is hard to use. i am also working on a bearing style end plate to replace the bushing. this should help in the power dept. as well as brush life. that motor has the potential for more than the 2.5hp it is rated at with a little help. now if you could only make it waterproof......

dan

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<font color=blue>let it snow<font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 02:01 PM

Warn winches used on HMMWVs are virtually waterproof. They are virtually identical to an M12000 and share the same motor design (just made for 24 volts) and the same solenoids (wired in series rather than parallel). The Solenoid pack is "potted" (dipped in liquid plastic). This can be simulated using some sort of spray-on coating. The Motor Housing has a hole tapped in it for the installation of a brass nipple. This nipple is then attached to a vent line (high and dry). When the motor heats up and is subsequently dunked in cold water, it creates a vacuum in the motor housing. The vent line allows the motor to fill with air rather than water.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the MIL12000 is no longer available. tried that one already. those that are left are at your friendly am general dealer. they are not cheap. and i like my upright, so i will work on waterproofing.

dan

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<font color=blue>let it snow<font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode