Multiple Axles questions and some spring questions.... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Multiple Axles questions and some spring questions....

go from CJ wide track axles to normal CJ axles?? I found some at a REAL good price that I can't really pass up. I AM going to go with SOA on them sometime next summer, so spring perches aren't that big of deal. I know I will not want to have more than 3.5" of backspacing on the rims (15x10). But, I do not know what else I have to look out for.

Also, would axles out of a 73 Wagoneer "bolt up" with having to cut down?? I am unsure if the rear diff is centered and the front diff is towards the passenger side or not.

Now for the spring question, does anyone have any stock CJ springs from the 82 era?? I need one pretty bad or I have to dump money into a suspension lift.

Thanks....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 05:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Multiple Axles questions and some spring questions....

J.C. Whitney and some other places sell stock replacement springs for about $75 a pop.

Scott C

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Keep in mind that I don't have a SOA, but I'm not sure I would use narrow track axles if you are going to do a SOA. Right now one of my jeeps has narrow track axles, 4" of lift and 33s. With the hardtop on that can get to feeling kinda top heavy. A SOA is gonna get you 5" or more of lift. If you've got wide track axles you could do a SOA on them and still have decent stability. What's the reason you don't like them, crappy gears? I'd spend the money on a gear swap on the wide tracks before I would do a SOA on narrow tracks, but thats just my humble opinion. Dana 44s out of a Scout will be about widetrack width and stronger. I'm not sure which year Wagoneers are options, some had AMC 20 rear axles and a 6 bolt pattern. They're not "bolt up" replacements. You can either have them cut down or run them full length outboard the frame. I think they are a few inches wider than Scout axles.
As far as stock CJ springs, what do you need and where are you located?? I've got a front and rear springs.
Shain

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

I'm in Wisconsin and really only need the rear springs. But, I would be interested in them all. The only thing is a 4" is cheap ($339, plus shipping/taxes, etc.) and fairly easy to install. The main reason I want to swap axles is that I have the 20/30 setup. Which, I know I can beef up the 20 and have as strong of an axle as a 44. But, why spend all the extra money on the 20 when I can get a 44?? I plan to go look at everything tonight/tomorrow. I may not end up with the narrow track axles, but I will really look at the Wagoneer axles to see if they fit. Let me know about the axles......

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Stan: I noticed a guy has some free stock springs in PA listed on the "for Sale" board if your interested. Cost of shipping probably would run you around $50 I'm guessing.
Shain

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 01:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Im using 78 wagoneer axles (44's f/r in my case) on my 5. The AMC 20 that came on SJ's is completely different than the ones on CJ's. Its a 1 piece axle shaft and the housings considerably beefier. You can put them on without cutting down the axles, but you will probably have to play with it a bit. I ended up doing outboard hangers up front to get them to work on mine. Overall I wouldnt cut them, leave them wide, especially if you're going sprung over. Oh and one more thing. Some Wag's didnt have 44 fronts, dont remember which years though. You'll want to keep an eye out for that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode