Re: HEI upgrade
Yes....Larry did a very good job....only a couple of notes...
1. The engine he is talking about is an inline 6. I was walking through the junk yard trying to find a 250 V6....
2. The HEI out of most V6's uses a longer shaft and body and will not work.
3. Order your gear now from 4WDH....you will need it.
4. On some of the older styles of HEI, the coil was external. In fact, mine WAS that style...I took the cap and wire harness off a newer one and used it. The only difference in the wiring is the newer style (coil in cap) has a third wire that is grounded. I believe you can buy just the harnes.
5. Go ahead and get the adjustable vac advance. The advance on the standard one is too much and you will most likely get pinging with slight accel...its ok under heavy acceleration.
6. Read all of Larry's instructions...he did an outstanding job...all I can say is that anyone who has the patience to rumage throug a junk yard to find the right dist has way too much time on his hand.....i'm jealous.
7. You might want to consider buying a rebuilt one from the parts house...here was my cost:
Used Dist. $35
Vac Advance $20
Mech Adnance $10
Pickup Coil $22 (I broke mine trying to clean it)
My Time ......priceless
A rebuilt one might be a little more expensive...but it could be worth it