Moab trail rating - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 12:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Moab trail rating

This may sound like a stupid question, but usually they are the one's everyone wonders about. Can anybody point me in the direction of the Moab trail ratings. (What constitutes a 3, 4 , etc). It sounds similar to kayaking, where a 1 is dead calm water and a 6 means "make sure you have a last will and testament".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 12:49 PM
utahjeepr

Re: Moab trail rating

I should be getting the newsletter within the next few weeks and I can post the rating scale then. As far as I can remember a 1 is a graded fire road not requiring 4wd, 4 plus reads something like "for serious yahoo jeepers who are not concerned with vehicle durability or personal safety" I love Moab, but to be honest Moab isn't home to the toughest Jeep trails anymore. Don't get me wrong it's still a great place to go, but as the aftermarket has improved the capability of our vehicles the trails at Moab have been tamed.

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

So, are there other rating systems out there? Where can I find them. Which is the most used?
By the way - utahjeeper - why the name if you're from So. Cal.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Moab trail rating, yeah, but...

yeah, but.... the last time I jeeped around Moab was over 27 years ago, I think about 1972. At that time, I went with a relatively stock Jeep, and was able to see everything available, or at least everything I was able to find, by asking locals where to go. Reading current info, I am wondering, can I get around on current trails, without a winch, and without lockers?? Call me 'stuck-in-the-past', if you want, but I am not 'in' to winching or lockers, and I still love to go out and enjoy the trail/scenery/etc. It's a long way for me to come and visit, and I would like to be relatively 'prepared', and have some idea of what I might be getting 'in-to'. As a comparable example, I could offer this thought, if you had it in mind to visit Surprise Canyon and Panamint City. Don't think about it without lockers, low gears, and a winch. Be prepared to get very wet. Expect breakage and vehicle damage. On the other hand, many folks have done it, and there is even a video sold, that covers it. Also, if a person wanted to just walk the 'tough' part of Surprise, it can be done in about 30 minutes (I've done it). It takes a Jeep about 4 hours, or a group of 8 Jeeps about 6-to-8 hours. There is no by-pass route, except walking or by air.
So, are there situations around Moab, that require this type of thinking and preparation?
Thanks...

bob
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 02:15 PM
utahjeepr

I was born and raised in Utah, and I had thought I would be back there by now. The best laid plans of mice and men... Anyway, I just couldn't bring myself to change my handle to SoCaljeepr

"My other car is a BULLDOZER"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 10:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Moab trail rating, yeah, but...

Bob, Depends on the trail and the obstacles you want to do while in Moab. Dump Bump,Potato Salad hill, Pritchett Canyon, a lot of Golden Spike and others will require at least a rear limited slip. I wouldn't recommend going by yourself either. The trails are not really all that difficult, they're just scary. Helldorado is VERY tough from all accounts I've seen and most of the 4 rated trails will require at least good clearance and a decent low range as well as at least a limited slip or a locker. It also depends greatly on you-the driver. Alot of guys will tell you that you need to be locked f/r with super low gears, big tires, a winch etc. to do the trails. There are other guys who can do them relatively stock. Trail ratings are very subjective. What may be easy to you, may be really hard to someone else. Just something to keep in mind. BTW, I just got back from Moab in early October. It was one of the best trips I've ever taken. It wasn't difficult-we ran Hell's Revenge, Lion's Back, Dump Bump, Potato Salad, Golden Spike, Poison Spider Mesa, Pritchett Canyon, and Moab Rim, so I can speak for those. Most were rated a 4 but most could also be done with a fairly stock vehicle with a rear locker and good ground clearance. You won't regret the trip either way, even if you end up doing the easier trails. It's just a real fun time. Hope you get to go.
Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode