Delco Alternator Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 05:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Delco Alternator Question

I am installing a delco alternator in my Jeep. I have the battery and #2 wire connected but what do I do with the charge light wire, I have no charge light in my Jeep. Any help would be great. Thanks, Carl

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 05:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Delco Alternator Question

the indicator light is important in the Delco charging system,it provides initial field excitation current to the altinator.The light goes out
when the field relay closes which puts battery voltage to both sides of the bulb.It looks like in my book that the "F" terminal (field) on the altinatior
runs thru the bulb and to a 12vt tap on the ign.switch.Personally i dont know,but could you NOT include a bulb in this wire and and tap
it into somewhere that is 12vt hot when key is on? I dont want to say to do it and have ya burn up a alt.Maybe someone here can
tell ya that has done this swap before.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 07:53 AM
Can't Get Enough

The charge light wire is not required, however it is a nice option. It can tell you not only if the system isn't charging, but also if the diodes are bad. The circuit is simple. Wire the light in the same maner as taking a test light, and putting the clip end on the battery positive, and the lead end on the #1 terminal, but keyed of course.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a simple $3 bulb spliced in the line is all that is needed. do not run without this a the resistance of the bulb is needed upon initial excitation.

dan

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]<font color=blue>let it snow<font color=blue>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 08:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

A method of wiring a Delco alternator I've used is very similar to the methods already described. I wire the "BAT" post on the back of the alternator with a wire directly to the "positive " post of the battery. I wire the "2" terminal to "BAT" post on the back of the alternator. I wire the "1" terminal to the "ON" position of the ignition switch with a 100 OHM 1 Watt resistior instead of a warning light.
There are several methods to wiring an AC Delco alternator. I've even seen a few AC Delco alternators with the "1" terminal wired directly to the "ON" position of the ignition switch and nothing wired to the "2" terminal. I do not recommend this wiring method, but it would work.
dave

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I assume the "1" terminal is the field wire?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-18-1999, 07:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, I'd like to say yes the "1" terminal is to the field. In all fairness, the "1" & "2" terminals are really the internal voltage regulator connections. I'm not positive I could really explain how the internal voltage regulator works, other than to say it's a current sensing device.
dave

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 06:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK,just checking,had brain malfunction,reason i asked is im going to try to put a Delco on my brothers F 150 his wiring is screwed up
and this sounds simple enough.Plus i can give him a idoit light to look at..Let me ask you electrical wiz's a question,I havent looked
at it,but he also has one of the BIG GM altanators i think from a 80's Olds car.Its like a 70-90? amp,not sure..How easy would that be to
wire on my Eagle that has the small Delco? I know its a good alt. but without looking at it yet,he siad the wiring is different than what he had on
a small delco truck,thats what he originally bought it (yard) to use on,anyone know?
Also my cousin has a Dodge Daytona junked,it has a 90 amp alt. on it a small unit,wouldnt be hard to mount,anyone know anything
about wiring a 84 dodge daytona alt into a AMC delco sys. ?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 11:46 PM

Delco Alternator Question-THE SCOOP

Here is the scoop from a street rodder that has done literally hundreds of these conversions...
The one wire alternators just don't live that long.
If you want to convert the GM 10-SI, 12-SI, and like internally regulated, alternating generators to use on your vehicles, you will need a couple of things.
First off, you will need a 12ga. or 14ga. fusible link or fuse wire.
Secondly, you will need a 12 volt light fixture that has a controlled ground. (Has two wires, and doesn't ground through the housing or bracket)
Third, A GM Style, two wire alternator plug that connects to the side of the alternator.

Connect a 10Ga. wire to the large insulated terminal on the back of the alternator marked 'BATT'.
Connect that wire to the fusible link.
Connect the fusible link to the battery cable side of the starter solenoid.
Your battery side hook up is complete.

Find a wire that is only hot while the Ignition switch is in the 'RUN' position. (This circuit must be 'off' when the key is turned off.)
Connect to that wire with two leads...
The first, about 16 to 18 Ga. wire, travels through the 'Idiot' light, and then to #'1' terminal on the alternator plug.
The second, about a 14 Ga. wire, travels straight from the switched source to the #'2' terminal on the alternator plug.
Plug in the Alternator, and see if it charges.

Notes:
LED style lights will NOT work. It needs to be a regular automotive style bulb. Small dash style bulbs are perfect.
You must have a light socket that controls the ground, as when the alternator is charging, there is 12 volts positive to BOTH sides of the light.
Almost any automotive parts store will have the parts described above.
DO NOT EXCLUDE THE FUSIBLE LINK! If you don't fuse the system, you stand a very good chance of a fire!

If you have a GM vehicle, and the battery and alternator both test good, but it still will not charge, Check these two things...
1. Check the idiot light. The system won't charge if it is burned out or missing.
2. Check the fusible link. The fusible link is a soft wire with a plastic collar about 4 or 5 inches from the end.
(Plastic collar is about 1 inch long X 1/2 inch dia.) The fusible link is usually found connected to the battery cable terminal side of the starter solenoid.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-19-1999, 11:56 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Delco Alternator Question-THE SCOOP

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Hi Team. I'm downloading this post as the definitive Delco alternator scoop. I recently got a delco to install on our '79CJ7, and you have answered every question that I had. Thanks.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Now my moonguys can relax[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] and guzzle some more brewskis.

CJDave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode