Thanks a lot,
Peter Lombardi
'89 YJ

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-16-1999, 11:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Which wheel size would be better??

It is pretty much personal preference. Either wheel will work, the 15x8's will just have a little more sidewall bulge which helps protect the rim. I don't know of any reason why one would be better than the other. I run 15x8's with a 11.50 wide tire and I am going to run 15x8.5 with a 12.5 inch tire..don't know if I will see any difference. Hope this helps(probably not but oh well)

absolutjeep
http://members.tripod.com/iluvjeeps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The narrower rim will help prevent rubbing, as well as aid in keeping the bead seated when you air down. I would definately recommend the 15x8.

Marc
Contagious Off-Road
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 07:37 AM
cjjunkie

What do you use your jeep for ?
For Offroad the 15x8 would provide a little more sidewall bulge that protects the rim better,but on road the 15x10 seams to provide a better cotact area and will wear better.the 15x10 will also be slightly wider

CJJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

<font color=blue> I have 31 x 10.50's on 15x8 rims. My friend has 33x 12.5's on 10 inch rims, besides the fact that they look MUCH larger, he experiences better "float" on sand... where I tend to "sink" in...

<font color=blue>Jon-YJ94
<font color=red>a work in progress
[email protected]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have two sets of 33's, one on 15x8's and one on 15x10's. The wider set rubs my fender flares and they are a real bi%ch to reseat the bead once they pop off. I haven't noticed any real differences other than that. They both ride about the same and I haven't noticed a lot of difference in wear, but my Jeep only sees about 1000 pavement miles a year.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you use your Jeep off-road, go with the 15x8. 15x10's don't hold a bead well, once you air down.

Jim

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-17-1999, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Three things to consider.
1) Off road. 8's will air down further and stay on the rim better. I run 6 to 8 psi on 35x12.5 BFG AT's on the trail (8" wheels). A little mud, dirt, sticks and rocks works their way in between the tire and rim, but seldom blow a bead completely. I would give the 8's a grade of 95 and the 10's down in the 60's or 70's for staying on the rim, maybe even a little lower than that. Also the bulge created by the 8's tend to protect the rim a bit more, but the truth is that when you drop the psi real low, the sidewalls move sideways pretty easy and protection for the rim is just marginally better. I run cheap steel wheels and replace them one at a time when necessary - usually 2 or 3 a year.
2) Highway. 8's bulge out more and thus cause the tread to be more rounded instead of flat on the pavement. Grades: 8's maybe an 80 and the 10's in the 90's for flatness of tread on the pavement and maybe a little bit more stability because you can air the 10's up a little bit more and still have a flatter tread line.
3) Looks. Totally opinion, but the 10's look much better unless bulgey, donuty looking tires and wheels are your thing.
As far as I am concerned am much more concerned about off road usefullness, the highway manners are close enough to not matter that much, and I couldn't care less about how it looks, so I run 8" wheels.

Doug '97 TJ
My Web Site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode