D44, Chevy spindles,Ford hubs???Help!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

D44, Chevy spindles,Ford hubs???Help!!!

I have been trying different combos of Ford Hubs to go with Chevy backing plate and brakes. The Chevys have a larger ID inner bearing, than the Fords that I have found at the Junk Yard. If I use the Ford spindle, it puts the rotor to close to the Chevy backing plate.I cant use Ford brakes because the Brake mounts are integrated into the Knuckles, and I need the flat milled Chevy Knuckles for the high knuckle steering. Someone gave the years that interchanged for a swap awhile ago and I wrote them down, but they dont seem to work. Maybe I wrote them down wrong, or who knows. I spent hours at the junk yard with no luck this afternoon. Everything else is going well with the swap.
Please help if you have some info.
Thanks,

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"Jeep" Build one, and youll understand!

Just
Exciting
Extreme
Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 04:54 AM
FlMudCJ

Re: D44, Chevy spindles,Ford hubs???Help!!!

I got this swap to work, but I had to cut the inside of the caliper mount to mount the spindle on the outside of the caliper mount. But I used spindles from a '73-'74 chevy and hubs/rotors from a '79 F-150 4x4. The article I believe was at www.bronco.com in the tech section. good luck.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 05:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

hey jeff... jeepgod put a pretty good write up on his web page about it..including what years to use and all.. check it out at the site below...

~~Elusive~~
tj-7 thingy..[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]..see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 08:57 AM

I have '72 Chevy 1/2 ton spindles and caliper brackets teamed with '79 Ford 1/2 ton hubs & rotors. No fitup problems. Four Wheeler had an article that glassed over this swap back in '97 and that's how I found out about it.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 10:15 PM
Keyboard Implanted

for those chevy spindles.. you will need 77 an older.. and it was only the first half of that year.. so look for 76 and older.. they will all work.. and the ford hubs.. any manual locking hub should work.. not to sure on those mid 80's.. and yes.. i used the chevy caliper.. and caliper holder.. but not the chevy knuckle..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2000, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

The odest Chevy they had at Reno Auto Wrecking was a 77, ther was 4 of tem and they all had the bigger spindles. So I had my freind look up the part number for a 75 and got the 5 number code on the spindle cross referenced. I was then abe to find 2 spindles at the Junk Yard, and I have 2 Ford Hubs and rotors from an 82 Bronco. THey look like they will work, but I didnt have a chance to get new bearings and races to really try to fit them. I didnt get to see them on a vehicle so I dont know about the brake mounts and calipers,(what they look like?). Are they same as the newer Chevys??? I have to use the Chevy calipers, because of the milled flat area on top of the drivers side knuckle, and the custom milled knuckle now on the right side(dont know what they started out as).
I have been taking pictures, and will post tomorrow or as soon as I can,(I dont have a company digital Cam at the time, I really liked that thing).
Jeepgod, Thanks for the help,(but the Junk Yard exploring, no doubt did me good). And to think, my Nick Name in the Navy used to be "Junkyard",or"Junk", because of my "Junkyard Dog", disposition. You would think I d be a natural.
Thanks again,

Jeff
89 Wrangler
"Jeep" Build one, and youll understand!

Just
Exciting
Extreme
Performance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode