Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Steel Horse Windshield Hinge Mount Light Bracket (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/31742-steel-horse-windshield-hinge-mount-light-bracket.html)

JeepersCreepers 07-19-2000 10:47 PM

Steel Horse Windshield Hinge Mount Light Bracket

Anyone have experience with these? what comes in the kit? I'm in Canada and with the current carparts.com coupon of  + exchange they are a good price for me still...Just curious how they compare to other brands

Thanks

**DONOTDELETE** 07-20-2000 06:40 AM

Re: Steel Horse Windshield Hinge Mount Light Bracket

In general Steel Horse products are of the lowest quality.
I won't be the only one to proclaim this either, I have heard it said on this board before.

My wife unwittingly bought me the center console from SH and it is a POS - poorly made all around lock didn't work material cheap,etc. Then I unwittingly bought a $99 wrangler cover that was an SH product, and it appears to be made of the thinist most easly punctured material they could find (reminds me of a paper table cloth), and it fits very tight - 4 year warranty against defects, rot etc, but it will be in shreds due to the flimsy nature long before then.

CB

jerry 07-20-2000 06:23 PM

I've had a set for about a year and they still look like new. Every few months I take them out of the box and look at them. It's just the two brackets, no hardware. They are 1/8" thick with a 3/16" tab welded on for mounting the light. Mine are black powder coated, but if I ever install them, I'll put a couble coats of Hammerite on them. Steel horse products seem to rust quickly.

jerry

JeepersCreepers 07-20-2000 07:31 PM

So in conclusion, money might be better spent on another brand? [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!

jerry 07-20-2000 09:29 PM

I paid $15 -15% for mine from Performance Products. I wasn't aware they were Steel Horse when I got them, but as long as I put some more paint on them before I install them, I think they will be OK. After I bought a set of Steel Horse tow hooks, I heard they rust real bad. I painted them before I installed them and after about 1 year they still look good. I didn't paint the bolts and they rusted right away so I replaced them with stainless steel.

jerry

ducmon900 07-20-2000 10:14 PM

I don't have steelhorse, but I like them a lot. ken