Off Roading Forums banner

Scrambler revamp..

7K views 22 replies 3 participants last post by  SilentBob2 
#1 ·
Well I was going to pull a sbc from a 98 service truck to put in the scrambler but I found a better use for the truck. After digging through the motors I have and realizing they would all need a rebuild, I started looking at other options. I want the beast to be running for the summer and more reliable. After work today I am picking up a Chevy LS for it.it have just about everything I need for the swap. My son stole my radiator for his cj5 so need new one, fuel pump and get my harness done and ecu flashed. The guy that done my son's harness for his 69 gmc does an amazing job on that. It's just the smaller 4.8 but should be plenty for the old beast. My brother in law put the 4.8 in his fj40 and says more power than the 350 that was in it. Nice weather is coming and the beast has sat long enough..

#4 ·
Really figured this covid-19 scare would have slowed us down here at the shop but I'm guessing with people being home its easier for them to get their car to us. We are doing our part and requesting cars to be dropped off to limit person to person contact. Rubber gloves wiping down steering wheels door handles and so on. Just thought I was getting caught up. We are staying booked a week out on the schedule.

#7 ·
Just found out I had to order some block hugger headers to get down around the clutch linkage on driver side and the starter on passenger side. Stock LS manifolds dumped right on top of the frame rails. Gues I should have looked into that a little more. That's ok, finally after two months of waiting for my new Hurst shifter for the mustang. Came in Friday. Apparently dew to the lack of demand hurst/holly makes them as ordered. Could have got the entire shifter for like $421 dollars but I already have the chrome shifter and white shift knob. All I needed was the compitition plus shifter mechanism for $198. Something wrong when the chrome lever and knob costs that much...

#9 ·
Yep I think he does. Funny you should call him my shop buddy. About two years ago, I was under a truck doing an alignment. This little pup walks into the bay and under the lift with me and sits down and stares at me just like pic. Neighbors had no clue who it belonged to so I brought him home. Whenever I'm outside or in the garage, he is right there with me.

#11 ·
Sorry to hear that, it does suck. Had to put down my mastif years back after months of trying to save her. She had a battle with cancer in right hind leg and even after amputation she recovered really well and got around great and then the cancer came back. It was hard to do but it was the right thing to do. They done it right there in the back of the Rubicon in her comfort zone. I use to go for the name brand dog's but now I just try to take in a stray mutt. Lot a of dogs around here that need homes and no animal control and humane society is over loaded.

#13 ·
Getting ready to go backwards a little. Still waiting on my harness but that's alright because there has been a slight change. Just got a good deal on a 6.0 so going to pull the 4.8 and do a switch. When I done the sm465 swap years ago I made the trans mount part of the skid plate and I have another set of holes in the skid plate that will allow me to move everything forward an inch. Going to go ahead and do that because that intake is too close to the firewall for my liking anyway. Do I need the 6.0? Probably not but whatever.. The guy doing my harness hasn't flashed the ecm for the 4.8 yet so its good timing. Wiring harness is the same for both.

#15 ·
Starting to wonder that myself. Plan was to have it done for summer but here we are.. Mustang is done minus exhaust. I have a brand new set of old school ss cragars and coopers sitting at the shop waiting. We have actually been so busy at the shop, I'm wore out when I get home. I did score a brand new ranger brake lathe from my old employer. They spent seven grand on it thinking they could turn a semi flywheel with it. It's been sitting in a trailer for two years and they put it up with a minimum bid of $2500 two months in a row with no hits. They called and said they would take $1500 and I said $1250. They said ok but you have to pay tax on it and they are going to deliver it to me..

#17 ·
Not so much. I get a lot of these farmers around here with there one tons that would rather have them turned so they don't have to spend tbe money for expensive rotors. Plenty of metal on one ton rotors to turn once or twice. My main reason for it is my wife's mail truck. She drives a little ford ranger sport 2wd and it still has the traditional rotors where you have to pack the wheel bearings. I tried the cheap house brand rotors and within 3 months they shake the front end. So I buy expensive rotors for it and oriellys can't seem to turn them without messing up the abs rings. Also on the rear I drill the drums like a slotted rotor to keep dust from building up in them and it works well. Oriellys won't turn them, says they can't but when my son worked there, he would turn them for me.i hate waiting on oriellys to turn a set because I will have a truck sitting there taking up a bay all day waiting on them.

#23 ·
Yep, so much for having the jeep for summer. Had to bring the mustang to the shop so I could squeeze it in here and there so I could get some stuff done. I'm so tired when I get home and this humidity is kicking my butt. Business is definately up. Brought on another helper and still feel like we are behind. We get no shows now and then so that has been my mustang time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.