Off Roading Forums banner

Bumps and Electrical

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  thorjeep 
#1 ·
I am back from a couple of years wandering a fond hello to whomever is still on board!

I would like some thoughts, my Radio ( most suceptable) and sometimes the engine quits when I am on washboard and ruts about 15mph. The radio always quits, the engine stalls about every 10th time. The alt gauge goes to 14+ for 20 sec when the radio returns. The jeep starts immediately after the engine dies

I have 1985 CJ7 with original harness
Removed cleaned and greased all power, grounds, extra ground straps, checked for the the battery and starter solinoid shorting and checked power into the fuse block for shorts. I can shake wires, jump on the jeep and not recreate. Any ideas?

#3 ·
Since the engine dies, rather than sputters, but it restarts immediately, I would suspect ignition switch. How heavy is your key ring? Could be heavy enough to be pulling the switch back to off.

To see if it’s a poor connection, try turning on everything, radio, heater blower, headlights on high, emergency flashers.

Reactions: thorjeep
#4 ·
After thinking about it, I’m even more convinced it’s the ignition switch. The ignition and accessories are on separate contacts. Sometimes you loose the accessories contact but not always the ignition with it.

Reactions: thorjeep
#5 · (Edited)
Great to see you're still kicking, Scott! Welcome back!

I think Taz is on to it. It could be the switch contacts themselves, or it could also be that the detents are so worn that they let the switch rattle part way between positions. And if you have a heavy key ring you should always take the ignition key off of it when driving - that weight bouncing on the lock mechanism beats those little pins pretty hard.

#7 ·
Thanks.

I have been suspecting the original ignition switch. I have some things in the column I am going to look at and will just replace the thing then.

#10 ·
Well, after chasing parts and not getting any, I put in a fancy chrome tilt column. It fixed it. But just in case I am putting in a Painless in Thor, plus 36yr old wiring is just a problem waiting to happen
. Wish me luck

Reactions: cannonfoddertfc
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.