Returning after 10 years with a 85 CJ7... tire / wheel quesitons - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks, Bob! If I decide to go with that can you fix me up with a set?

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Can't Get Enough

Sure can...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SilentBob2 For This Useful Post:
Jim_Lou (05-10-2017)
post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 11:43 AM

Thanks! When I built the front D44 I put 6 degrees of caster in it, against my better judgement on the advice of some guys on the board. Everything in the steering is as tight as it can be, but I still get death wobble, which I think is due to excessive caster and tire wear. I'd like to put new shoes on it, but would really llke to take the axle apart and correct the caster first. I don't know when I'll have the time to do that.

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:02 PM
Official Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
Thanks! When I built the front D44 I put 6 degrees of caster in it, against my better judgement on the advice of some guys on the board. Everything in the steering is as tight as it can be, but I still get death wobble, which I think is due to excessive caster and tire wear. I'd like to put new shoes on it, but would really llke to take the axle apart and correct the caster first. I don't know when I'll have the time to do that.
If you don't need to adjust it more than 1-1/2 degrees, there are these:
Moog K936 - Bushing | O'Reilly Auto Parts

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #15 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks, Will. I've thought of those, and also thought about making some tapered shims. I may do the latter to see if they cure the DW. The spec is 3 degrees, which I where I think it should be. Unfortunately the adjustable ball joints will only get half way. But they would be good for correcting the 1/4 degree variance side to side I accidentally wound up with.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #16 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 04:20 PM
Official Historian

Looks like Rubicon Express makes degree shims in 2º increments for $32 a pair. Use steel shims or to make shims. Don't use or buy aluminum or cast.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #17 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 12:44 PM

Thanks, Will. I can probably make them faster than they can get here, and make 3 degree parts which is what I need.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #18 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 07:05 PM

32's are kind of a dead size. I personally like 33x10.5's but your only options are really BFG's, Generals, the new Maxxis mud tires, or Toyo Mt's. I'd love another set of toyo mt's, after changing 100's of generals at desert races I'd never buy them, I've never been that happy with BFG's but I also deal with snow on a daily basis and the Muds just don't have enough siping, I'm interested to see how the Maxxis do.

All the cool kids running JK's are running 17's or 20's if they are more worried about mall crawling ability. The one thing you have to watch out for is a lot of the 17" tires are load range E, AKA heavy and stiff. Goodyear duratracs are very popular around here. I just ordered a set of 31" hankook ATM for my TJ, they aren't the most aggressive tire but they wear well and are awesome in the snow, probably not much of a consideration to you in California but driving 100 miles a day round trip into the mountains of Colorado they should work good for me.
post #19 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 11:18 AM
Can't Get Enough

Watch out on those hankook ATM's. They tend to have a week spot right at the crown between the side wall and the tread. Very prone to puncture. Other than that great tire and make sure you get a road hazard on them. I won't offer that tire anymore. I only order them for the people that requests them.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentBob2 View Post
Watch out on those hankook ATM's. They tend to have a week spot right at the crown between the side wall and the tread. Very prone to puncture. Other than that great tire and make sure you get a road hazard on them. I won't offer that tire anymore. I only order them for the people that requests them.
Hmm I've never heard of that happening and I know a bunch of people who swear by them. The ones on my 3/4 ton chevy have seen a ton of rocky trails at goat heads and cactus at the desert race track. I always buy the certificates at discount and usually come out ahead. I know you own a local shop but after servicing their air compressors and lifts I have a lot of good to say about discount. They are a class act and I've never been called sir so many times in my life. The nation wide warranty doesn't hurt either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode