1985 CJ Radio - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

1985 CJ Radio

I bought my 1985 in 1986 and someone had installed a Audiovox radio with cassette. Never got to see the original radio. There is a Pioneer in there now that I think is a couple of years older than the Jeep, I used it in a leased car in California prior to moving back to Indiana.

So what did a 1985 Jeep radio look like??

Maybe this?

And I remember seeing an option list that included a AM/FM/CB offered. Did it look like this?

Knobs are on the wrong sides.

Not my pictures, just found them on the interweb.

I just got one of these... http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RES-RC9C1163773 Will let you know how that comes out after I install it.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:29 PM

When I ordered my '78 I didn't get a radio. I knew that with the soft top flapping and the gear noise and the engine noise and the tire noise it would be fruitless. I've seen radios in CJs of that vintage but have no recollection of what they looked like. I do have a sales brochure from '78 that will probably show radios. If you pester me I'll scan and post it.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 PM
Way Outta Control

Yep, those are what they looked like. The AM/FM was the same in my '83 CJ7 Unlimited. HEFRE's some info on the AM/FM/CB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2015, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
When I ordered my '78 I didn't get a radio. I knew that with the soft top flapping and the gear noise and the engine noise and the tire noise it would be fruitless. I've seen radios in CJs of that vintage but have no recollection of what they looked like. I do have a sales brochure from '78 that will probably show radios. If you pester me I'll scan and post it.
Yes I think that many of the Jeep CJ options back in the 70's and 80's were dealer installed. Maybe even the Laredo, padded roll bars, saddle bags with a chrome grille and front bumper. While I can't imagine that the clock and tach were dealer installed... Maybe, so that might answer some things that are not exactly typical about an old Jeep. It's like a box of chocolates.

I'm thinking that I did my homework... While not my pictures, the ones posted above are pretty much true to the 1980's CJs.

So now we come around to your statement "What the heck do you need a radio for in and old Jeep"? I know that's not what you said but....

I'm sure that Toby can enlighten you about having a radio even on a scooter!

Well for that matter on a golf cart!

Scan and post that sales brochure. I'm not going to pester you about that but there may be someone that would like to see it. I promise not to cover my eyes. Post it up "Big Boy".

Nice post Larry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
Yep, those are what they looked like. The AM/FM was the same in my '83 CJ7 Unlimited. HEFRE's some info on the AM/FM/CB.
Different pictures that show what I was thinking... I tried but failed to find one of those AM/FM/CB radios... Just thought it would be kewl. Didn't get one. Oh well.

I messed with it a bit this afternoon.... Want to see?

Pioneer KP-6500.... WoooHooo from around 1980 or 1981... Can you imagine what it takes to keep it tuned to a station?

It's out and I don't think that I want it back. Not sure this is the solution but a digital tuner can't hurt in any way.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
I tried but failed to find one of those AM/FM/CB radios
There's on out on Ebay right now for $220, OBO. It's a little rich for my blood...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Yes I think that many of the Jeep CJ options back in the 70's and 80's were dealer installed. Maybe even the Laredo, padded roll bars, saddle bags with a chrome grille and front bumper. While I can't imagine that the clock and tach were dealer installed... Maybe, so that might answer some things that are not exactly typical about an old Jeep. It's like a box of chocolates.
The original PTO winch on my Jeep was a dealer installed option on the CJ5s but not available on the 7s, apparently because they never mocked up a longer rear driveshaft for it. So I took it home in a crate and made a new shaft. It wasn't a standard Ramsey, it had a shorter aluminum drum, which broke after a few years of hard use, so I got the standard wrecker winch, which has a cast iron drum, and shoehorned it in on my own mount.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

New radio is installed and working. Considering the speakers are full of dust, crud and several years old it sounds pretty good. The bezel that comes with the radio fits nicely in the original rectangular dash cut out. Have to setup the knobs to be about an 1/8" lower than the center line of the rectangle and about 5 1/2" knob to knob.

Took a bit of time to splice all of the wires, actually there are 11 wires, 8 for the speakers, constant +12, switched +12 and ground. Much of the time spent was due to the sloppy job from years long gone. I cleaned up a bit.

Doesn't look too much out of place, no more than the SW oil pressure gauge just above the radio.

Tried out the AUX input using a little battery powered CD player. Had to turn the volume up to the max on the CD player but it worked just fine.

I took it out for a drive, listened to a couple of different stations by using the preset buttons. And here's what is special!!! I didn't have to twiddle with the tuning knob at all to keep it on a station. Special I tell ya.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example

Last edited by OlllllllOCJ; 08-26-2015 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Pic link fouled
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 AM

The factory auxiliary gauges were made by SW. The logo was stamped on the back of the case, but not printed on the face. Of course they used an electric OP gauge, not the mechanical you have. I'm still using the factory voltmeter. It was replaced under warranty and has been working fine ever since.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
The factory auxiliary gauges were made by SW. The logo was stamped on the back of the case, but not printed on the face. Of course they used an electric OP gauge, not the mechanical you have. I'm still using the factory voltmeter. It was replaced under warranty and has been working fine ever since.
Well all of the 1985 gauges other then the oil pressure gauge still work fine, including the clock and tach. The silly oil pressure gauge slowly just went silly! I tried a new sending unit, did not make it better. Did not feel like messing with it very much, a mechanical oil pressure gauge makes me more cozy anyway, and this one is pretty.

Maybe I'll post some of the strange junk that I have used to reproduce sound in the old Junk... It can be important on a long ride.

Dale

Excellent Bad Example
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 06:34 AM

As a bonus that mechanical gauge has a 270 degree sweep, which makes it easy to evaluate with a quick glance. As I recall the stock electric had about a 45 degree sweep.

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode