New Clutch Noises - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

New Clutch Noises

Hello Again

So I am in the process of changing my ring gear on the flywheel. This is a 360 with a CJ T18a. While I had the transmission down I decided to go ahead and do the clutch as well. Everything seemed to go fine until I started the jeep back up and heard a periodic clanking. It sounded like two surfaces grazing each other and was worse in varying clutch pedal positions. It seemed worst when the clutch was half way. And squeaky when the engine was revved. The clutch functioned fine other wise. The following are what I think are the pertinent details

1. When I ran the jeep the driveline was not on the skid plate and likely angled down slightly. Tranny bolts were tight. In hindsight I should have tried jacking the transmission up some once I discovered the noise

2. I did some homework and found that the I did not have fitted shoulder bolts for the pressure plate. Just regular grade 8 1 inch bolts. On initial dis assembly I found the pilot bearing to be the wrong ID. It had been liker this for years. The new bearing with the clutch kit fit snugly but was free to rotate on the transmission shaft.

3. The new throwout bearing came with grease on the id and felt right. I did not grease it.

4.With jeep running i pryed on the space between engine and bell housing. No luck.

5. After the clanking I disassembled hoping to see something obvious. I did not. The transmission shaft was nice and shiny at the pilot bushing.

6. Pedal felt normal with no binding.

So I guess that leads me here. My current plan is to
1. Install fitted bolts
2. Grease pilot and throwout bearing. Touch up the tranny shaft with emery cloth.
3. Reassemble and run at the normal drive angle.
4. Maybe check bellhousing alignment?
5. Take all advice from here

Looking back on it I am leaning towards the new pilot bearing on a shaft that hasn't seen one in a long time being the issue. Is this the type of thing that might break in with time? If it is that what other fix is there

Anyone else experience something like this?

Sorry for the long winded post just trying to get all the facts out there.
Thanks For the help.

_________
|rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 03:24 PM

There shouldn't be any break-in required of a pilot bearing or bushing. And usually the bellhousing mounts onto big, 3/8" dowel pins so shoulder bolts aren't necessary, but maybe they've changed that.

I could imagine a U-joint intermittently rubbing against something and making a noise like you describe that changes with engine speed and load, especially if everything isn't assembled properly and bolted together securely.

If it will misbehave without a load on the drive train, I would put it on jackstands under the axles and get underneath while it's making the noise. It should be easy to pin it down then. You need stands holding it up by the axles, not the frame, so that the drive shafts are in their normal orientation.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2015, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Quick update. I put the tranny back in after hitting the input shaft with some emery cloth, adding the oil soaked felt behind the pilot bushing and the noise came back but quickly went away.

thanks
Tk

_________
|rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode