t18a reverse lockout - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

t18a reverse lockout

Hello everyone.

I apologize in advance for my picture linking. I am still figuring out the embedded picture thing. . .Years ago I received some great advice concerning why my t-18a did not have something preventing me from grazing reverse when shifting to third. Over the years I just learned where to shift and where not shift, and lived with it.

Recently I had to replace the ring gear on the flywheel and while the transmission was out I decided to replace the reverse plunger spring. I picked out an appropriately sized spring. Everything seemed to be back in working order until I tested it out. So I reinstall the shifter and now have resistance when shifting to reverse. In fact it now it seems like too much and cannot really push the shifter sideways to push the plunger out of the way. If I try and shift while pushing the shifter toward the passenger side it the bottom of the shifter come out of the gates and end up in no mans land where I cannot shift anything. I then have to remove the shifter cap and start all over.

I took the shifter back out and inspect the gates. Below is the picture as found.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...de88d326%21204

NOTE: The 1-2 shift gate is very close to the 3-4 gate and there is a significant gap between the reverse (all the way on the right with the plunger)

1. Is this normal? Has anyone ever noticed this? Is it possible the shifter is slipping between this gap?

Here is the picture of the shifter removed.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...de88d326%21205

Does anyone see anything unusual with this? Am I correct in thinking the ears in the shifter should lock it down in the gates?

Is it possible I used too strong of a spring?

_________
|rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:05 PM

It's been a long time since I had the top off my T18, so I can't say anything about the shift mechanism with certainty, but that sure doesn't look right to me. On the other hand, I can't imagine how it could get out of the proper relationship, since the shift rails slide fore and aft in bosses machined into the case. The shift lever doesn't look abnormally worn either.

Are you doing this with the transmission on the bench or in the Jeep? If you're wrestling it around on the bench, trying to hold it down and shift at the same time, you can get into some strange situations. But no matter what you shouldn't be able to get into that situation.

I wish I could pull the top off of my T18, but that's not possible at the moment.

One piece of advice, look for the proper spring. Besides Ford, International trucks used the T18 in the '70s and '80s. I got a replacement spring from a dealer, I think in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, but that was probably fifteen years ago.

If it's not too much trouble, take the top cover and take a picture of the shift mechanism from the under side.

And attaching pictures to your post is easy. After saving your initial post you can edit it, select Go Advanced, and click on the paper clip icon. From there it's pretty easy. But watch the size of your picture. There are limits, but you don't get a real obvious notice if it's too big.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Solved: t18 reverse

Jim

Thanks for the response. I took the top back of the tranny and the problem was immediate: See the picture below. The reverse has a guide built into the top of the case. when i put it back together I did not get the get the gate into this guide. In fact I distinctly remember rolling the shaft and gate to make the pin easier to drive. Lesson Learned. Just following up in case someone else ever makes the same bonehead move as me.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cJPG

_________
|rent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:28 AM

Yep. At least it was an easy, cheap fix. And a cheap lesson.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode