Transmission mount cure - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2013, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Transmission mount cure

At least I hope it is. The rubber of the last mount is cracking after less than a thousand miles, and the one before that separated completely in less than a year. I attribute that to three factors: The tall six cylinder rocks back and forth a lot, everything gets a nice dose of oil periodically, and the standard mounts are made in China, apparently from used condoms. So this is my plan.

New adapter top:
DSCN5476a.JPG

From the bottom:
DSCN5477a.JPG

With Prothane mounts in position:
DSCN5478a.JPG

My hope is that the Prothane mounts will be more or less impervious to the oil mist, and that the two of them will help keep the engine from rocking around so much. There used to be a little arm sticking out to the side from the mount that apparently was supposed to restrain the rocking, but I don't think it did much, and it long ago disappeared after the rubber bushings disintegrated.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Addict

If nothing else, it sure looks pretty. You always do really nice work, Ji
m.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Update

Thanks! It worked splendidly! There's now some harshness from engine vibration getting into the frame and to the body, but it completely cured the clutch chatter and stopped the transmission and transfer case from bumping around. Over rough terrain the shift lever used to thrash around so much that the snow plow switches on it would rattle, and that's gone too.

Initially it had the transmission and transfer case a little too high for comfort, so I had to take it out and trim a tenth of an inch off the thickness.

With the trial fits, modifications and drilling holes I had the skidplate off and on four times. That has always been a pain in the butt, but this time it was a piece of cake. I don't know why I never thought of this before.

DSCN5479a.JPG

I cut the heads off a couple of junk bolts and turned a point onto them. Then I screwed them into the middle bolt holes in the frame. With the skidplate balanced on the floor jack I just raised it over the alignment pin on the near side, then went to the other side and got it into position. Then the skidplate jacked right into place. I didn't even put bolts in until everything was ready for final assembly. When the outer four bolts were tight I replaced the alignment pins.

B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 02-17-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Can't Get Enough

Say, you seem to KSS.
Nice work, Jim.

Jim
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-18-2013, 11:20 PM
Official Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
I cut the heads off a couple of junk bolts and turned a point onto them. Then I screwed them into the middle bolt holes in the frame. With the skidplate balanced on the floor jack I just raised it over the alignment pin on the near side, then went to the other side and got it into position. Then the skidplate jacked right into place. I didn't even put bolts in until everything was ready for final assembly. When the outer four bolts were tight I replaced the alignment pins.
Looks great. I used to do something similar. I used 4" bolts in the center holes to line up the skidplate as it went up. I didn't think about cutting the heads off. I did cut the heads off some long bolts and cut some slots in the end for a screwdriver to use as alignment dowels for guiding the transmission bell housing up to the engine.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2013, 11:14 AM
Addict

You see? This is why I love this place. It's the simple stuff that I can take with me and use. I used a few long bolts for alignment dowels before to line the transmission up with the engine, but it never occurred to me to cut the heads off the bolts much less cut a slot in the end. Sure would have been easier.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2013, 07:49 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Jim, I think you and I think similarly, but you you have the tools to make it happen.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Keep working at it Jeff. You'll get there. I've been collecting tools for well over fifty years, and most of my expensive ones have come since the kids moved out.

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode